Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/19 18:54:42 UTC

Re: Getting Tomcat 6.0.18 to work on ubuntu 9.04 for public connections

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 9:41 AM, NicolaiFrydenlund Larsen (NLS)
<Ni...@grontmij-carlbro.dk> wrote:

> I've installed the tomcat on the ubuntu machine, and by looking at the logs tomcat is running, on port 80. My problem is that when trying to connect to it from a public computer the browser gives me a "connection refused" and something with error 10061.

"Something"?? A little bit more on specifics would be good.

> Since I've installed the tomcat from remote I haven't tried to see if it is working with localhost.

Why not? That would be a good first step.

RE: Getting Tomcat 6.0.18 to work on ubuntu 9.04 for public connections

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Hassan Schroeder [mailto:hassan.schroeder@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Getting Tomcat 6.0.18 to work on ubuntu 9.04 for public
> connections
>
> Then it sounds like Tomcat  isn't running, contrary to your earlier

What does a netstat -ano show?

 - Chuck

Re: Getting Tomcat 6.0.18 to work on ubuntu 9.04 for public connections

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:20 AM, NicolaiFrydenlund Larsen (NLS)
> I used putty to login and tried to telnet both as user and root, but both returns this message:
>
> "telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused"

Then it sounds like Tomcat  isn't running, contrary to your earlier

> I've installed the tomcat on the ubuntu machine, and by looking
> at the logs tomcat is running, on port 80.

Maybe you can post the log of a startup attempt?

RE: Getting Tomcat 6.0.18 to work on ubuntu 9.04 for public connections

Posted by "NicolaiFrydenlund Larsen (NLS)" <Ni...@grontmij-carlbro.dk>.

Firefox, but explorer shows the exact same.

>You could use an ssh tunnel, or you could just log in and type e.g.
>prompt% telnet localhost 80
>GET / HTTP/1.0
>
>and see what happens. If you can connect there, it's probably your
>server's firewall.

I used putty to login and tried to telnet both as user and root, but both returns this message:

"telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused"

>HTH,
>--
>Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com

Nicolai

Re: Getting Tomcat 6.0.18 to work on ubuntu 9.04 for public connections

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:05 AM, NicolaiFrydenlund Larsen (NLS)

Posted by "NicolaiFrydenlund Larsen (NLS)" <Ni...@grontmij-carlbro.dk>.

I can imagine it is a miracle when it works. :)

However, in my case I can't get it to work. The prompt works fine, but does not make any difference in my browser. I both used it normally and also with firefox using proxy 127.0.0.1:80 which didn't work either.

Anyway, from putty I used telnet localhost 80 and connection was refused, so localhost have been tried now.

Thank you.

Nicolai

Re: Getting Tomcat 6.0.18 to work on ubuntu 9.04 for public connections

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by "NicolaiFrydenlund Larsen (NLS)" <Ni...@grontmij-carlbro.dk>.

Try the following:

    * Refresh page: Search for the page again by clicking the Refresh button. The timeout could have occurred due to Internet congestion.
    * Check spelling: Check that the Web page address is spelled correctly. The address may have been mistyped.
    * Access from a link: If there is a link to the page you are looking for, try accessing the page from that link.
    * Contact website: You may want to contact the website administrator to make sure the Web page still exists. You can do this by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the website home page.

If you are still not able to view the requested page, try contacting your administrator or Helpdesk.

    * Date: 19-05-2009 16:59:38 [GMT]
    * Server: dkcphisafi11.dk.carlbro.net
    * Source: Remote server