Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2012/02/08 20:10:54 UTC

Unifying property handling in 3.1

With the advent of DI, suddenly Cayenne has a bunch of properties that can be used to control its behavior. Organic development of these properties created quite a confusing picture, with properties defined throughout the framework and using various naming conventions. In addition to properties we have so-called "DI collections" - maps or lists of DI-managed objects, such as lists of supported ExtendedTypes.

My first attempt to bring order to that was placing them in a single place in docbook [1, 2]. This was great, however this also underscored ugly naming and the lack of consistency.

So now I am doing another pass [3] to unify the properties, organizing their declarations in a single interface, and introducing somewhat better naming.

This change will unfortunately be disruptive to the current users, due to property renaming. I am thinking of ways to support old property names together with the new ones, but then it will probably just cause extra confusion.. So will probably just document the changes and leave it at that.

Anyways, wanted to send a note before I start breaking stuff :-)

Andrus

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/main/trunk/docs/docbook/cayenne-guide/src/docbkx/appendix-a.xml
[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/main/trunk/docs/docbook/cayenne-guide/src/docbkx/appendix-b.xml
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-1665