Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bijoy Thomas <bi...@gwu.edu> on 2004/07/09 22:29:17 UTC

[users@httpd] Httpd question

Hi,

  I just downloaded and compiled Apache. I have a question. Is there any difference between running the commands 'httpd' and 'apachectl start' to start Apache?

Thanks in advance,
Bijoy Thomas.

Re: [users@httpd] Httpd question

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.
Quoting Bijoy Thomas <bi...@gwu.edu>:

> Hi,
>
>   I just downloaded and compiled Apache. I have a question. Is there
> any difference between running the commands 'httpd' and 'apachectl
> start' to start Apache?

In short, yes there is a difference.  However im not entirely sure what the
differences are.  the apachectl script does a lot more than just start httpd.
It sets env variables and does some error checking.  Im not sure if all of it
is necessary but i'd definitely call apachectl instead of httpd directly.

Perhaps someone with more apache knowledge can provide a more accurate answer.

Jim

Re: [users@httpd] Httpd question

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:29:17 -0400, Bijoy Thomas <bi...@gwu.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I just downloaded and compiled Apache. I have a question. Is there any difference between running the commands 'httpd' and 'apachectl start' to start Apache?

No.  Take a peek inside the apachectl script and you'll see that
"apachectl start" is winds up doing "httpd -k start" which is
essentially the same as just plain "httpd".  The only difference is
that apachectl will try to setup any env variables and ulimit settings
that are necessary for your platform.

Joshua.