Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by jekillen <je...@prodigy.net> on 2007/03/15 06:20:45 UTC

[users@httpd] Memory problems from browser point of view

Hello;
I have not had experience with this in the past
but I am doing a large project in php and I
need to know what Apache sends the browser
when it is having memory problems. For test
purposes when I have users test the program
I want to be able to get a feel for how much
memory I can expect it to use, when it gets
used and what the user will see.
Presently the machine this program is on
is a machine that will be running Apache
with ssl and php v5.2.1, gd, and mcrypt and has 1Gb
of DDR2 memory installed. Has the doc
root on a 15k SCSI drive that is dedicated
to the file system that contains the document
root tree. It is not /usr, where all the software
is. That is on another 15k SCSI drive. So I
would not think access times to be too much
of an issue. But the php scripts will do a lot
of file reading and writing (not e-mail).
httpd is the only server that will be running
on this machine as it is a production server
and will be running headless, thus no GUI.
It will be running ftpd but only for posting
content and scripts that have already been
proven on a development server on inside
network, (ftp, telnet, ssh are blocked on public network
and no mail server will be running)
Thanks in advance
Jeff K

Re: [users@httpd] Memory problems from browser point of view

Posted by jekillen <je...@prodigy.net>.
On Mar 15, 2007, at 5:32 AM, Joshua Slive wrote:

> On 3/15/07, jekillen <je...@prodigy.net> wrote:
>> Hello;
>> I have not had experience with this in the past
>> but I am doing a large project in php and I
>> need to know what Apache sends the browser
>> when it is having memory problems.
>
> If you have MaxClients tuned correctly (that is, low enough that
> apache processes never wind up in swap space), then when you are low
> on memory apache will hit MaxClients and further clients will simply
> not be able to connect until a process is available to serve them.
>
> If MaxClients is not tuned correctly, then apache will start trying to
> use swap space and responses will become slower and slower until the
> server essentially looks dead.

Thanks for the reply. Now I have more to work with
In the first situation, MaxClients is low enough, what
sort of message is likely to be presented? Would this
be distinguishable from  a message generated by
the server being off line?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.