Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chao Wang <so...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/19 14:16:32 UTC

SingleSignOn valve enabled by default?

Hi all,

I have an issue with SSO configuration in tomcat 7.0.42.

According to the doc [1],  it requires to enable SSO valve inside
server.xml. However, without making such modification, I deployed two
web-app test.war and test2.war (see attached file). Then, try to login
from /test, after successful login, I don't need to login a second time
for /test2 and can see the secured welcome page directly . That's
strange for me, is the SingleSignOn valve enabled by default in tomcat?

FYI, I add following configuration in tomcat-user.xml
<role rolename="User"/>
<user username="test" password="pass.1234" roles="User"/>

If it's not a real issue, please point me how that works, and I'd like
to know how could I set the reauthenticate parameter for SSO.

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html#Single_Sign_On

Thanks & Regards,

RE: SingleSignOn valve enabled by default?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
NO:

<!-- /conf/server.xml -->
<!-- SingleSignOn valve, share authentication between web applications  Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html -->

        <!--
        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn" />
        -->

YES:

<!-- /conf/server.xml -->
<!-- SingleSignOn valve, share authentication between web applications  Documentation at: /docs/config/valve.html -->
        <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn" />

Martin

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/7/19 Chao Wang <so...@gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an issue with SSO configuration in tomcat 7.0.42.
>
> According to the doc [1],  it requires to enable SSO valve inside
> server.xml. However, without making such modification, I deployed two
> web-app test.war and test2.war (see attached file). Then, try to login
> from /test, after successful login, I don't need to login a second time
> for /test2 and can see the secured welcome page directly . That's
> strange for me, is the SingleSignOn valve enabled by default in tomcat?
>
> FYI, I add following configuration in tomcat-user.xml
> <role rolename="User"/>
> <user username="test" password="pass.1234" roles="User"/>
>
> If it's not a real issue, please point me how that works, and I'd like
> to know how could I set the reauthenticate parameter for SSO.
>
> [1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/host.html#Single_Sign_On
>
> Thanks & Regards,

1. Attachments are not allowed here
http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users
-> "7."

2. If you are using BASIC authentication,
then the browser caches the password for this "server+realm name(*)"
combination unless you close the browser window.

(*) realm name = the name as displayed in the authentication prompt.

The browser does not know the structure of your server and where lies
a boundary between different resources on the same server. It is all
the same site and the same realm name, so it reuses the cached
password.

Read more about BASIC authentication.
(Better a RFC document, but a Wikipedia article also should explain the basics).