Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Casper Wandahl Schmidt <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/09 19:07:26 UTC

mod_jk and URL rewriting/proxying?

Hi List

I have a quick question (I hope).

I'm using mod_jk to forward from Apache httpd 2.2.8 to tomcat 7.0.20
(Ubuntu 8.04). I think I saw something on this list some time ago but
can't remember what it was really about (the real issue was not want I
want to do).

So I want users to access my webapp from xxx.yyy.zz and then have
apache/mod_jk to change it to xxx.yyy.zz/myapp

According to
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/proxy.html I have
to manipulate headers but as far as I remember there was something about
ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse. Are they only available to mod_proxy or
mod_ajp?

I don't want the app to become ROOT since I have another app that should
be running as ROOT. I thought about making seperat host's in server.xml
but I dont like the fact that I need to restart tomcat each time I need
to add a new host so I thought I might achieve want I want by letting
apache httpd take care of that part.

Kind regards
Casper

Re: mod_jk and URL rewriting/proxying?

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 09.02.2012 19:07, Casper Wandahl Schmidt wrote:
> Hi List
>
> I have a quick question (I hope).
>
> I'm using mod_jk to forward from Apache httpd 2.2.8 to tomcat 7.0.20
> (Ubuntu 8.04). I think I saw something on this list some time ago but
> can't remember what it was really about (the real issue was not want I
> want to do).
>
> So I want users to access my webapp from xxx.yyy.zz and then have
> apache/mod_jk to change it to xxx.yyy.zz/myapp
>
> According to
> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/proxy.html I have
> to manipulate headers but as far as I remember there was something about
> ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse. Are they only available to mod_proxy or
> mod_ajp?

Yes, those can currently not be combined with mod_jk. Sorry.

> I don't want the app to become ROOT since I have another app that should
> be running as ROOT. I thought about making seperat host's in server.xml
> but I dont like the fact that I need to restart tomcat each time I need
> to add a new host so I thought I might achieve want I want by letting
> apache httpd take care of that part.

You might want to look at the host-manager webapp.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: mod_jk and URL rewriting/proxying?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: mod_jk and URL rewriting/proxying?

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Casper Wandahl Schmidt <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: mod_jk and URL rewriting/proxying?

Posted by Casper Wandahl Schmidt <ka...@gmail.com>.

Den 09-02-2012 19:36, Caldarale, Charles R skrev:
>> From: Casper Wandahl Schmidt [mailto:kalle.privat@gmail.com]
>> Subject: mod_jk and URL rewriting/proxying?
>> I don't want the app to become ROOT since I have another app
>> that should be running as ROOT.
> And how is that one accessed?  From what you described it sounds like you want the same URL to hit different webapps based on the mindset of the user.

Ha my bad. I use separate subdomains. Right now the localhost-host uses
the default ROOT (the one shipped with Tomcat) but I plan to use another
webapp later.

>> I dont like the fact that I need to restart tomcat each time I need
>> to add a new host
> Restart not required; use the host-manager webapp to add them on the fly.
Nice, that will be the thing to do then :)

Thanks for the tip!

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/02/2012 20:18, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Jeffrey Janner [mailto:Jeffrey.Janner@PolyDyne.com] Subject:
>> RE: mod_jk and URL rewriting/proxying?
>
>> does one still have to modify the server.xml if we want new hosts
>> to be there the next time we restart tomcat?
>
> A brief scan of the code indicates that you will have to maintain
> server.xml yourself.  All I could see was code that manipulates the
> active objects; nothing seems to be persisted.

Correct. There was some code that tried to do this back in 5.5.x but it
was buggy, not maintained and therefore got dropped.

Mark

RE: mod_jk and URL rewriting/proxying?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Jeffrey Janner <Je...@PolyDyne.com>.

Chuck -
Does the host-manager persist changes now, or is it still running changes only?
That is, does one still have to modify the server.xml if we want new hosts to be there the next time we restart tomcat?
Jeff

Confidentiality Notice:  This Transmission (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender or telephone (512) 343-9100 and delete this transmission from your system.

RE: mod_jk and URL rewriting/proxying?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.