Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> on 2011/07/27 22:06:27 UTC

"Major Gaps of OpenOffice Impress 3.3 vs. Microsoft Office PowerPoint"

http://freesoftware.zona-m.net/major-gaps-of-open-office-impress-versus-microsoft-power-point-what-do-you-think/

An interesting read with ideas on areas where we can improve.

-Rob

Re: "Major Gaps of OpenOffice Impress 3.3 vs. Microsoft Office PowerPoint"

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jul 27, 2011, at 1:06 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> http://freesoftware.zona-m.net/major-gaps-of-open-office-impress-versus-microsoft-power-point-what-do-you-think/
>
> An interesting read with ideas on areas where we can improve.

I am reminded that the PDF Importer extension is wrong to not allow the user to choose which type of ODF to create. Impress would be my first choice - not Draw.

Nearly complete fidelity between PPT, Impress, and PDF would be great. Probably a feature of the ODF Toolkit making use of Apache POI and PDFBox.

When discussing PowerPoint it important to know that the binary format differs slightly from version to version, it is not a static beast.

How does OOo behave with PPTX vs. PPT? The article does not make a distinction and they are different beasts.

Regards,
Dave