Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> on 2015/12/18 14:40:00 UTC

Results of a IPv6 brainstorm day

Hi,

Yesterday we from PCextreme, Leaseweb and Schuberg Phillis sat down for
a IPv6 brainstorm session.

We asked a good IPv6 consultant (Sander Steffann) to join us to help us
identify some glitches in our ideas.

We had two ideas:
-
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/IPv6+in+Basic+Networking
- https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/IPv6+in+VPC+Router

Overall, our ideas looked good, our main concern was security grouping.
How to prevent clients from spoofing and such.

I updated the spec for the Basic Networking with those ideas.

A few things worth noting:
- Link-Local traffic should be allowed for specific ICMPv6-only. No UDP
or TCP!
- A DUID can not be trusted. We need a tagger on the HV which adds the
MAC address as DHCPv6 option 37.
- SLAAC can not be used. DHCPv6+IA only
- We can assign multiple IPs and Prefixes via DHCPv6
- ISC Kea seems very nice as a DHCPv6 server: http://kea.isc.org/wiki

A few RFCs which might be worth reading:
- https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4890.txt
- https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6939
- https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4861

We will start to work on this, but the CloudStack core is still very,
very, very IPv4 minded and this will need a lot of refactoring.

However, once you understand IPv6 better it is much more simple then
IPv4 imho.

The end goal is that CloudStack can run on IPv6-only without ANY IPv4.

What also resulted from this day:
- Basic Networking can probably be merged with Advanced Networking with
Direct Attached
- Isolated Networks are about the same as a VPC
- We might be able to ditch the SSVM in most situations

Any way, enough work to do!

Wido

Re: Results of a IPv6 brainstorm day

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Wido, consider me in. My main objective btw is to give users the
possibility to run there VMs IPv6 only. The management layer is not such a
biggy.

I am still reading up on those rfcs and all the links in them.

--
Daan

Re: Results of a IPv6 brainstorm day

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
> Op 10 maart 2016 om 22:54 schreef Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>:
>

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:31 PM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:
>

> > > Op 10 maart 2016 om 21:15 schreef John Burwell <
> > john.burwell@shapeblue.com>:
> > >

> > > Wido,
> > >
> > > Curious if you have been able to make any progress on this work. Have
> > you been
> > > able to move it forward? If not, what kind of help would you need?
> > >

> > Yes. Not so much in code inside CloudStack, but mainly in figuring out
> > DHCPv6
> > stuff and searching for the right components.
> >
> > The DHCPv6 part is something that I would like to see handled by Kea.
> > Blogged
> > about my tests with Kea:
> > http://blog.widodh.nl/2016/02/isc-kea-dhcpv6-server/
> >

> AFAIK dnsmasq should support DHCPv6 leases based on MAC-addresses as well,
> should ease the transition a bit to not have to switch the software inside
> the VR.

True, but it lacks various things like Prefix Delegeation.

KEA also supports a (SQL) database backend for storing leases and reservations,
something dnsmasq can not do.

Also, Kea supports reservations based on the MAC where dnsmasq only supports
DUID.

Wido

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
> Op 10 maart 2016 om 21:15 schreef John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>:
>

> Wido,
>
> Curious if you have been able to make any progress on this work. Have you been
> able to move it forward? If not, what kind of help would you need?

Yes. Not so much in code inside CloudStack, but mainly in figuring out DHCPv6
stuff and searching for the right components.

The DHCPv6 part is something that I would like to see handled by Kea. Blogged
about my tests with Kea: http://blog.widodh.nl/2016/02/isc-kea-dhcpv6-server/

The security grouping part could be done by libvirt:
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-1164
*
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cloudstack-dev/201601.mbox/%3C568CE637.4000507%40widodh.nl%3E

This supports both IPv4 and IPv6. So this combined brings us to:
- Kea for DHCPv6
- Libvirt for KVM Security Grouping

I haven't gotten to writing any actual code since this mainly means that a MAJOR
overhaul is needed of the internals of CloudStack. All the code now assumes IPv4
addresses in there...

Wido

Posted by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>.
Wido,

Curious if you have been able to make any progress on this work. Have you been able to move it forward? If not, what kind of help would you need?

Thanks,
-John

[ShapeBlue]<http://www.shapeblue.com>
John Burwell
ShapeBlue

d:      +44 (20) 3603 0542 | s: +1 (571) 403-2411 <tel:+44%20(20)%203603%200542%20|%20s:%20+1%20(571)%20403-2411>

e:      john.burwell@shapeblue.com | t: <mailto:john.burwell@shapeblue.com%20|%20t:>     |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

a:      53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK

[cid:imagefbc38a.png@a8508906.4c973695]

Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.

IaaS Cloud Design & Build<http://shapeblue.com/iaas-cloud-design-and-build//> | CSForge – rapid IaaS deployment framework<http://shapeblue.com/csforge/>

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Ian Rae <ir...@cloudops.com>.

--
Ian Rae
CEO | PDG

CloudOps | Cloud Infrastructure and Networking Solutions
www.cloudops.com | 420 rue Guy | Montreal | Canada | H3J 1S6

Re: Results of a IPv6 brainstorm day

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.
Wido