Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2005/10/19 06:54:02 UTC

maven 2.x site as the main site

Hi,

I would like to flip the Maven 2.x site over as the main site and move
the Maven 1.x content to a /maven1 directory. Very soon m2 will be
released and so I think it's time to shift the sites focus to m2.

I would like to do this tomorrow but would ask folks to look over both
sites and see if there is any critical missing from the the m2 site that
I should integrate from the m1 site. I have tried to move/translate most
things but I'm sure there are things that I've missed.

+1

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

you are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Re: maven 2.x site as the main site

Posted by Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net>.
Hi Brett,

Brett Porter wrote:
> That doc hasn't been on the main site for a long time and should be
> removed.

See, Google makes some documents immortal :-)

> Maven 1.0 is available under the link at the top of the page. We're

Sorry, I should have tried it again before sending my previous message -
last time I tried, that link was pointing to
http://maven.apache.org/maven1.html. It's fine now...

-- Felipe

Re: maven 2.x site as the main site

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
That doc hasn't been on the main site for a long time and should be removed.

Maven 1.0 is available under the link at the top of the page. We're
still cleaning up, so if you find anything feel free to point it out
and/or fix it :)

- Brett

Posted by Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net>.
Hi Jason,

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 15:38 +0200, Thomas Van de Velde wrote:
> This should be moved and updated:
> http://maven.apache.org/reference/conventions.html

Converted and integrated.

> http://maven.apache.org/using/repositories.html

Converted and integrated.

> http://maven.apache.org/reference/glossary.html

Just linked this one in.

Published again too.

> On 10/19/05, Thomas Van de Velde <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > This is just my two cents but I am wondering if it wouldn't be better to
> > hold this off untill documentation is complete. People will come to the
> > Maven site by the masses (hopefully :-) when they hear M2 final is released
> > and will wonder where to find documentation. IMHO there's still a lot
> > missing so there's a risk users will be disappointed. This is me speaking as
> > a marketing guy :-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Thomas
> >
> > On 10/19/05, Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > Emmanuel proposal may be used to make maven2-ant-task a "top level"
> > > component. It may be a good way for ant users to get interest on maven,
> > > and come to this site.
> > >
> > > AFAIK maven was first part of turbine and this process was applied.
> > > Would it have same success if users had to go to jakarta turbine site
> > > and search the site for some obscure "maven" sub-sub-project in the
> > > turbine2 sub-project ?

> > > move

> > > both
> > > that
> > > most

> > > This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential
> > > and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is intended only for the
> > > person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you
> > > are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or
> > > use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error,
> > > please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

  -- Shakespeare

Re: maven 2.x site as the main site

Posted by Thomas Van de Velde <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 15:30 +0200, Thomas Van de Velde wrote:
> This is just my two cents but I am wondering if it wouldn't be better to
> hold this off untill documentation is complete. People will come to the
> Maven site by the masses (hopefully :-) when they hear M2 final is released
> and will wonder where to find documentation. IMHO there's still a lot
> missing so there's a risk users will be disappointed. This is me speaking as
> a marketing guy :-)

There is still a lot more to be done but I'm hoping at this point there
is enough for people to get started and then that gives me a few days to
write more sophisticated doco :-)

jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Re: maven 2.x site as the main site

Posted by Thomas Van de Velde <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 15:11 +0200, Nicolas De Loof wrote:
> Emmanuel proposal may be used to make maven2-ant-task a "top level"
> component. It may be a good way for ant users to get interest on maven,
> and come to this site.
>
> AFAIK maven was first part of turbine and this process was applied.
> Would it have same success if users had to go to jakarta turbine site
> and search the site for some obscure "maven" sub-sub-project in the
> turbine2 sub-project ?

We're probably going to move non-core projects out of the main trunk so
this is something we will probably do.

jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Re: maven 2.x site as the main site

Posted by Nicolas De Loof <ni...@capgemini.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 14:54 +0200, Emmanuel Venisse wrote:
> +1
>
> An other solution could be to do a simple page that introduce all maven projects and a
> link to each project. So, we'd have :
> /index.html the presentation page
> /maven1
> /maven2
> /continuum
> /wagon
> /scm

Noted.

> Emmanuel
>
> Jason van Zyl a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to flip the Maven 2.x site over as the main site and move
> > the Maven 1.x content to a /maven1 directory. Very soon m2 will be
> > released and so I think it's time to shift the sites focus to m2.
> >
> > I would like to do this tomorrow but would ask folks to look over both
> > sites and see if there is any critical missing from the the m2 site that
> > I should integrate from the m1 site. I have tried to move/translate most
> > things but I'm sure there are things that I've missed.
> >
> > +1

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

  -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Re: maven 2.x site as the main site

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
+1

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

RE: maven 2.x site as the main site

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1 but be careful to noit move xsd for examples ...

Arnaud

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 08:45 -0400, Vincent Siveton wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> +1
>
> Somes comments:
> In maven2/index.html, the "Getting Started" link is not the good one:
> http://maven.apache.org/maven2/guides/getting-start/getting-started.html

Fixed.

> In maven2/index.html, the "Features" link gives the old layout:
> http://maven.apache.org/maven2/features.html
> Should be replaced by:
> http://maven.apache.org/maven2/maven-features.html

Fixed.

> The "Page Not Found" layout is not correct.
>
> Thanks for your good job.

I'll publish those fixes now.

jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

 -- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition

RE: maven 2.x site as the main site

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jason,