Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Tomer Shiran <ts...@maprtech.com> on 2012/09/04 20:14:06 UTC

Apache Drill design meeting

We have scheduled a meeting on 9/13 at 4pm PT:
http://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Apache-Drill-User-Group/events/80792492/

Please RSVP if you plan to attend.

We are planning to enable remote participation for those who are not local.
I would appreciate any suggestions on what technology to use (eg, WebEx,
USTREAM + dial-in bridge).

Thanks,
Tomer

--
Tomer Shiran
Director of Product Management | MapR Technologies | 650-804-8657

Re: Apache Drill design meeting

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Does anybody have any experience with what sort of audio capture we should
use?  Is a cheap lavalier mike OK?

Posted by LeslieWang <wq...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Nishanth Vepachedu <ni...@gmail.com>.
Tomer,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fondermann@gmail.com
> wrote:

> <snip>...re-iterations that non-ML comm is useful...</snip>
>
> I fully agree, did I suggest something different?

Yes.  I think you did.

Perhaps you should make your suggestions more explicit.

> > So Bernd, to put it concretely, what do you talk about at ApacheCon when
> > you go?
>
> Everything technical and non-technical. And sometimes about design
> decisions, too.

So there you go.

Re: Apache Drill design meeting

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hackathons for Apache projects are nothing new.
>
> Hbase has had several.  Zookeeper has had several.

These are grown-up projects, not a new Incubator podling with no code
in the repo.
Now, the first steps need to be taken, and they should best be done in the open.
The code and the SW design are is not the hard parts. The hard part
are to find a modus operandi within Apache boundaries.

> Other modes of communication are also commonly used.  Hbase has ongoing
> discussions on IRC.  Lucene does as well.  Mahout does as well.
>
> Pretty much all of these discussions are then reported for further
> discussion on the mailing list (if they have any merit).  None of this
> detracts from the fact that these communities finds these alternative
> styles of meeting very useful.

<snip>...re-iterations that non-ML comm is useful...</snip>

I fully agree, did I suggest something different?

> So Bernd, to put it concretely, what do you talk about at ApacheCon when
> you go?

Everything technical and non-technical. And sometimes about design
decisions, too.

  Bernd

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Hackathons for Apache projects are nothing new.

Hbase has had several.  Zookeeper has had several.

Other modes of communication are also commonly used.  Hbase has ongoing
discussions on IRC.  Lucene does as well.  Mahout does as well.

Pretty much all of these discussions are then reported for further
discussion on the mailing list (if they have any merit).  None of this
detracts from the fact that these communities finds these alternative
styles of meeting very useful.

The fact is that these meetings *are* very useful.  Email is limited as an
interaction medium.  Multiple media for interaction are very helpful.
 Drawing a picture on the whiteboard is very helpful.  Of course, if it
doesn't happen on the list it didn't happen is the motto, but it is still
very useful to have people meet each other, bond and push ideas around.
 These same people should then go back to the list for followup discussions.

Calling it a "get-together", "hackathon", "design meeting" or whatever
doesn't change the fact that people will talk about design ideas (just as
they might in a bar or at home if they happen to live with one another or
at work if they work together) and that we who are there in person will do
our best to include remote viewers and listeners.  The fact that some
people met face to face also doesn't change the fact that actual decisions
will be made on the mailing list.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Bernd Fondermann <
bernd.fondermann@gmail.com> wrote:

> For an Apache project it's imperative that all development decisions
> are made on the public mailing list (this list).

Of course.

> Especially for a new podling (e.g. Incubator project) meetings on IRC
> or in ConfCalls less than ideal, because you want to grow your
> contributors.
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#communication

I think a mix of modalities including face to face talks is very helpful.
 It is absolutely true that we have to work hard to avoid disenfranchising
non-local project participants, but I have gained tremendously over the
years from Apache oriented get-togethers.  Shoot, I bought the beer at the
first Hadoop user group meeting!

Re: Apache Drill design meeting

Posted by Tomer Shiran <ts...@maprtech.com>.
We're in agreement.

Also, all slides will be shared online, and we'll try to have the
recordings online as well.

Thanks,
Tomer

Posted by Dave Beech <db...@apache.org>.
+1 for a London meetup

Cheers,
Dave

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM, Michael Hausenblas <
michael.hausenblas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ted, All,
>
> > How much interest would there be in having another such meeting at the
> > beginning of October in London?  I will be in town for Strata and would
> > love to host folks.
>

> That would make a lot of sense to me. London is just 1h flight from
> Dublin, so great for me. When and where?

Some time around Strata is when I can make it happen.  Details still TBD.
 If the group is small, a pub might be the right place.  If large, then we
might need something more formal (which I am happy to arrange).

> In addition, to grow the group I'd like to establish an All-Ireland Drill
> User Group (it's a small country anyways) so if there are fellow Irish
> people here, please ping me in a PM.

There you go.  Good on ye.

Re: Apache Drill design meeting

Posted by Michael Hausenblas <mi...@gmail.com>.
Ted, All,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Michael,

Posted by karthik tunga <ka...@gmail.com>.
I think meeting around the time of Hadoop World is an excellent Idea !!

Cheers,
Karthik

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Excellent idea.