Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ha...@t-online.de on 2006/01/10 09:21:22 UTC

Re: dealing with SPF and external authenticated users

>> >    What would be the correct way of dealing with this situation ? As a
>> > workaround I have used whitelist_from_rvc *@mydomain.com, which seems to
>> > be a great workaround, because I have rules in postfix that do not allow
>> > external users that do NOT authenticate to send messages with my own
>> > domain, not even to my local  users.
>>
>> There's nothing wrong with that solution since you have Postfix setup to
>> refuse mail to local address from un-auth'd users.

I implemented a similar setup a while ago, and it turned out that some legit (although
suspiciously looking) mails from ebay were blocked.
I had to whitelist ebay there..
This particular user is no longer there, so I dont know whether ebay have revised these
mails since

Wolfgang Hamann

Re: dealing with SPF and external authenticated users

Posted by le...@solutti.com.br.
Citando Brian Godette <bg...@idcomm.com>:

> AFAIK ebay, paypal, and quickbooks all (can) send mail on behalf of a
> user
> using their (real) email address, and is one of the gotchas of SPF. My
> solution was to include ebay/paypal's SPF records in our own on the
> assumption that they're unlikely to joe-job.

So far so good. I have not seen or heard a single complain of a real-case
mail (not spam) that uses my domain as source address.

And I think, with people starting to use SPF, that this kind of action will
stop happening. I mean, people from ebay/paypal/something will start
sending with their own sender address and not somebody else domain.

Sincerily,
Leonardo Rodrigues

Re: dealing with SPF and external authenticated users

Posted by Brian Godette <bg...@idcomm.com>.