Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "IT - Williams, Katherine" <kw...@douglas-county.com> on 2005/02/01 17:52:23 UTC

Cocoon install

Hello,

I'm a complete newbie to Cocoon, so please bear with me. I've downloaded
all of the Cocoon files into my C drive, and now I'd like to install
them. I've looked through all of your documentation, including your
INSTALL.txt file, but I'm completely lost. I want to use XMLSpy 5.0 to
create/edit XML/XSL... docs, and Cocoon to convert those XML docs to
different formats via XSL stylesheets.

Can you give me or forward me to a very simple instruction list for
installing Cocoon? Thanks.

Katherine Williams - Webmaster
Douglas County, Kansas
Phone: (785) 832-5184
Fax: (785) 832-5180
Email: webmaster@douglas-county.com
Website: http://www.douglas-county.com <http://www.douglas-county.com/>

This_email_has_been_scanned_by_the_MessageLabs_Email_Security_System.

Re: Cocoon install

Posted by Roberto <rm...@montefiore.ch>.
MessageHi Katherine,
well I wrote some instruction about how to install Cocoon, but are took from the Cocoon web site & some other book, unfortunately are wrote in italian. So if you know italian I can send they, but trust me is very clear how is explained in the Cocoon web site.

Cheers
Roberto

Re: Cocoon install

Posted by WHIRLYCOTT <ph...@whirlycott.com>.
Katherine,

If you just want to transform XML using XSLT, you don't *necessarily*
need Cocoon, although Cocoon will do this.  If your needs are just as
simple doing XSLT transforms, you could use Xalan or something else instead.

phil.

--
                                   Whirlycott
                                   Philip Jacob

Re: Cocoon install

Posted by Jens Maukisch <co...@maukisch.net>.
Hi,

> Can you give me or forward me to a very simple instruction list for installing Cocoon? Thanks.

First of all you have to compile cocoon. This is normally very
simple if you have set the JAVA_HOME correct.
Just go to the directory where you have unzipped cocoon
an type "build webapp" or "./build.sh webapp" (depends on you OS).
If this task is finished you can start cocoon with the bundled
Jetty with "cocoon servlet" or "./cocoon.sh servlet".

Then you can then go on http://localhost:8888/ with your browser and
have a look at the Samples.

hth

--
* best regards
* Jens Maukisch

AW: Cocoon install

Posted by Jose Ferreiro - TSSAG <jo...@tssag.com>.
Hello Katherine,

Below is a copy of the INSTALL file.txt that you may find in the
directory where you install cocoon
for example in my case it is located in C:\Program Files\Apache
Group\cocoon-2.1.6

Follow the 5 steps :-)

Hope this helps

Best wishes and regards

   /JF

                      +-----------------------------+
                      |     I  N  S  T  A  L  L  |
                      +-----------------------------+

 1) Unpack the distribution
  Obviously you've done this already, but if you got errors when
unpacking
  the archive with tar, you might need to use gnutar instead. Our
archives
  contain long paths and filenames which cause problems with some
versions
  of the tar command.

 2) Set your JAVA_HOME environment

  You have to set your JAVA_HOME environment to point to the root
directory of
  the Java Virtual Machine (JDK 1.3.x or later) installed on your
machine.

  To do this simply type:

    [unix] JAVA_HOME=/path/to/java/
    [win32] SET JAVA_HOME=c:\path\to\java

  your mileage may vary depending on your shell, but you know how to
setup
  environments, right?

 3) Build Cocoon by typing "build" or "./build.sh"

 4) Run Cocoon by typing "cocoon servlet" or "./cocoon.sh servlet"

 5) Open http://localhost:8888/ with your browser

That's it!

Now, you have two choices:

  a) close this file and try to hack something out by yourself

  b) keep reading

Go ahead and choose option a), but don't complain if you can't figure
out how
to use the cocoon build system for your needs.

Still here? good. You won't regret it.

Reading the documentation
--------------------------

This directory contains the full Cocoon documentation (as xml
documents).
You can either browse the documentation when you start Cocoon as
described
above and go to the documentation section:
http://localhost:8888/docs/index.html.
Or you can build the docs your self by running "build.bat docs" or
"./build.sh docs". If you want to build the docs yourself, you need
an installed version of Forrest (http://xml.apache.org/forrest).

Of course you can also read the documentation at the website
http://cocoon.apache.org/

Updating
--------

If you are updating from a previous release of Cocoon, make sure
that you read the installation instructions on updating first.

Choosing the blocks
-------------------

Cocoon is composed by its 'core' and several 'blocks'.

The core (a.k.a. naked cocoon') contains the system with services that
are needed to all cocoon users. Blocks provide services that you might
not need,
therefore the build system allows you to remove them from the build.

Now, do the following steps to configure the blocks you want in your
cocoon:

 1) cp blocks.properties local.blocks.properties
 2) edit local.blocks.properties
 3) rebuild (do a "build clean" first if you deactivated some blocks)

do not modify blocks.properties directly!

Tuning the build
----------------

Ok, now that you told the build system what services you want assembled
into your distribution, you can tune the build for your personal needs:

 1) cp build.properties local.build.properties
 2) edit local.build.properties

do not modify build.properties directly!

An example of a local.build.properties is the following:

  compiler=jikes
  compiler.debug=off
  build.webapp=/path/to/where/to/build/the/webapp

where you override default compilation parameters and tell the build
system
where to place the generated cocoon webapp. Look into build.properties
to find
out what you might want to modify for your own personal needs.

Running Cocoon as a servlet
---------------------------

When you do 'cocoon servlet', the servlet container (jetty) is started
and Cocoon
loaded into it. By default, this is attached to port 8888, but you can
change
this by setting the "JETTY_PORT" environment property before launching
cocoon.

Other properties that you can change are:

 JETTY_ADMIN_PORT (defaults to 8889): is the port where the jetty web
     administration is connected to. This is available when you launch
     "cocoon servlet-admin", otherwise its disabled.

 JETTY_WEBAPP (defaults to build/webapp): is the location of the webapp
     that jetty has to execute. modify this to match your
local.build.properties
     if you modified where the build system creates your webapp

 JAVA_DEBUG_PORT (defaults to 8000): is the port where the JVM
over-the-wire
     debug interface connects to. This is available only if you launch
     "cocoon servlet-debug", otherwise is disabled. This is used by
remote
     debuggers (for example, Eclipse's).

Note that the "standalone-demo" build target prepares a directory that
you can
move elsewhere to run "cocoon servlet" outside of the build tree.

All right, that's it for now.

Happy hacking with Cocoon.