Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Dieter Tremel <tr...@tremel-computer.de> on 2013/10/12 10:20:41 UTC

getPage(pageReference) == null since Wicket 6.10.0

Hello wicket-community,

in the last time I had to work on another project, so my wicket-work
paused and I just upgraded to the new versions.

So I was rather astonished that the mechanism I implemented for the
return page after canceling an edit was not working any more, since
getPage(pageref) returned null.

After a lot of tests I know that this came from wicket 6.10.0 on, in
6.9.0 the code was working correctly. I also recognize, that the newer
versions provide a new page id, if I use the URL with the old pageId
manually, so in 6.10.0 the page is expired, whereas in 6.9.0 it is not.
Strange for me.

I use CDI and Glassfish 3.1.2 and have found the issues fixed in 6.10.0,
that could be related:
WICKET-5164 - PageStoreManager.SessionEntry keeps outdated sessionId
when container changes sessionId
WICKET-5309 - No page id appended to some stateful pages using repeaters

Any idea what the problem could be and how I could fix it?

Thank You
Dieter

My code is:

Call of page:
final PageReference pageReference = getPage().getPageReference();
logger.log(Level.INFO, "Backpage reference of EntityCrudLink: {0}
({1})", new Object[]{pageReference, pageReference.getPageId()});
setResponsePage(new
EntityEditPage(EntityModelFactory.createEntityModel(editRecord),
crudView, pageReference));

Edit Page:
The PageReference prevPageRef is set in constructor.

Link cancelButton = new Link("cancelButton", new
ResourceModel("CancelLabel")) {

  @Override
  public void onClick() {
  IModel<String> infoModel;

  ... define infoModel

  getSession().info(infoModel.getObject());
  setResponsePage(prevPageRef.getPage());
  }
};

Re: getPage(pageReference) == null since Wicket 6.10.0

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Dieter Tremel

> Am 12.10.2013 21:58, schrieb Martin Grigorov:
> > The problem is that most of us use Tomcat/Jetty and we don't test other
> web
> > containers.
>
> Hi,
>
> I always saw the decision between full Java EE and Spring Framework, and
> Spring always made the impression to be a solution for all problems and
> you have to solve all problems with spring forever. So I didn't want to
> open this door.
>
> Some features of the big application servers where comfortable (CDI,
> transaction management, container based security) and I watched Adam
> Bien and started to shout Hallelujah after his videos ;-)
>
> Despite that I see the problems of a commitment to a single applications
> server and would like a small modular solution using Tomcat.
>
> My applications are business applications implementing a workflow based
> on CRUD operations with JPA on open source relational databases.
>
> Can you please give me some hints for a minimum stack of doing that with
> Tomcat without reinventing the wheel:
>
>  - with or without Spring?
>  - What are key libs (Guice, http://jotm.ow2.org/, ...)
>  - How do you it implement, what are your suggestions?
>  - What is important not to forget?

I personally prefer Spring for middleware.
You can take a look at
https://github.com/jWeekend/LegUp/tree/master/wicket-spring-jpa for a
simple app. It uses Spring for DI, Hibernate as JPA and transactions
provider.

I haven't used CDI professionally so I cannot comment on it. My only
experience is with Wicket CDI module and so far I haven't seen a feature
which is not supported already by Spring. I have seen problems with
different CDI implementations though.

I think you should use whatever you feel most comfortable with, i.e.
whatever you know the best and causes you the least troubles in your daily
work.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Our current stack for big applications (10-20k concurrent users) is:

 - wicket 6 (we upgrade with every release, across all projects almost
simultaneously, couple of million lines of code, about 3000 pages,
3000 panels, etc)

 - spring for wiring hibernate, cxf and classpath scans, and some DI
 - CDI for conversation support (in one application)
 - Hibernate
 - tomcat

Our future architecture to which we are planning to migrate to entails:
 - wicket
 - JEE7 (JPA, EJB, CDI, JMS, JBatch, JAXRS, JAXWS, etc.)
 - JBoss (wildfly)

Basically we got convinced that we implement everything ourselves in
our current software stack and that we probably could scrap a lot of
code and configuration deploying to an actual JEE server. While spring
can be nice, we never fully adopted it and it is more in our way than
a helpful service.

Martijn

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Dieter Tremel

Posted by Dieter Tremel <tr...@tremel-computer.de>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Dieter Tremel <tr...@tremel-computer.de>wrote:

> Thank you Sven.
>
> I am glad that it is well known and will be fixed in 6.12, and little
> bid sad about the hours I spent of studying my code and testing. I
> should have asked more early in the mailing list, your support is always
> great.
>
> Sometimes I have the impression that a Glassfish and wicket are not a
> couple in great love.

My all time favorite Java EE server is WebSphere. Not sure how much IBM
paid SUN/Oracle to get certified but you can expect many problems if you
have to deploy your app on this beast.

Posted by Dieter Tremel <tr...@tremel-computer.de>.
Thank You, will try that.
Dieter