Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> on 2002/07/08 23:23:08 UTC

Re: Velocity-like tools for C++ (porting velocity?)

"Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com> writes:

> On 6/1/02 1:17 PM, "Jon Scott Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:
>
>> What about JNI connectors to Velocity?
>>

> Isn't that the wrong way?  Doesn't the C++ proggie need to start a JVM for
> the java code to run in?  I am familiar with the other direction, Java code
> using JNI to run C stuff, but not the reverse...

If running native code from inside a JVM using JNI, said native code
can call back to Java code (also using the JNI API).  I've never tried
this without having the "starting point" be a JVM.

- Dan

Re: Velocity-like tools for C++ (porting velocity?)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 7/8/02 5:23 PM, "Daniel Rall" <dl...@finemaltcoding.com> wrote:

> "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com> writes:
>
>> On 6/1/02 1:17 PM, "Jon Scott Stevens" <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What about JNI connectors to Velocity?
>>>

>> Isn't that the wrong way?  Doesn't the C++ proggie need to start a JVM for
>> the java code to run in?  I am familiar with the other direction, Java code
>> using JNI to run C stuff, but not the reverse...
>
> If running native code from inside a JVM using JNI, said native code
> can call back to Java code (also using the JNI API).  I've never tried
> this without having the "starting point" be a JVM.

Jeeze, your mail queue is big... :)

That's what I was getting at - you need to start with the JVM, afaik.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.