Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Karen Miller <km...@apache.org> on 2020/02/11 20:34:18 UTC

quarterly board report: what should we add?

Geode Developers,
Here's the start of a board report that is due tomorrow (Feb 12).
I feel that the Project Activity or Community Health section could use more
information
about what we're working on. There are so many developers working on so many
exciting areas that I'm not sure which we all feel would be best to include
in the report.
Are there any blogs or conference activity that I might include in the
report?
Thanks.  Karen

Draft of the report:

The mission of Apache Geode is the creation and maintenance of software
related
to a data management platform that provides real-time, consistent access to
data-intensive applications throughout widely distributed cloud
architectures.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Geode was founded 2016-11-15 (3 years ago)
There are currently 107 committers and 52 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:4.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Bill Burcham on 2019-09-08.
- Aaron Lindsey was added as committer on 2019-12-16
- Benjamin Ross was added as committer on 2019-12-06
- Donal Evans was added as committer on 2019-11-22

## Project Activity:
1.11.0 was released on 2019-12-31.
We are well on our way to a 1.12.0 release.

## Community Health:
The community is actively contributing to the Apache Geode code base. In the
past quarter:
- 315 issues opened in JIRA
- 288 issues closed in JIRA
- 563 commits by 57 code contributors

Re: quarterly board report: what should we add?

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.
Karen, thank you for putting this together.  A few things that caught my eye:
- The mission description seem unnecessarily convoluted.  Surely there is a more succinct way to word this.
- The text "The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 7:4” seems to appear in a great many board reports, despite being inaccurate in most of them including ours.  If this is an important line-item to include, our ratio of 107 committers and 52 PMC members might better be expressed as roughly 2:1 or 41:20 or 35:17
- If we want to highlight major work efforts, the OQL authorization improvements done this quarter would be the headline, following by our push to investigate and fix flaky tests.
- A measurement of community growth that would be interesting to me would be contributions by non-committers.  I don’t know if this is easy to compile.
- Also, aren’t their usually statistics on mailing list activity?  I think dev list activity is a great indicator of how involved our community has been.