Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> on 2017/07/26 19:59:12 UTC

Re: [VOTE] [OT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.19

Mark,

On 7/26/17 2:34 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 25/07/2017 00:22, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.19 release is now available for
>> voting.
>>
>> The major changes compared to the 8.5.16 release are:
>>
>> - Enable TLS connectors to use Java key stores that contain
>> multiple keys where each key has a separate password. Based on a
>> patch by Frank Taffelt.
>>
>> - Make asynchronous error handling more robust. In particular
>> ensure that onError() is called for any registered AsyncListeners
>> after an I/O error on a non-container thread.
>>
>> - Sync SSL session access for the APR connector to prevent errors
>> when accessing the session.
>>

>> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>>

>> It can be obtained from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.19/
>> The Maven staging repo is:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-11
46/

The svn tag is:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_19/

The proposed 8.5.19 release is:
>> [ ] Broken - do not release [X] Stable - go ahead and release as
>> 8.5.19
>
> All unit tests passed with NIO, NIO2 and APR/native (1.2.12) on
> Linux Windows and macOS.

I've noticed that there are some tests which have no bearing on the
type of connector, yet are run for each type of connector. For example
(from my test report):

* org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.APR.txt
* org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO.txt
* org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO2.txt
*
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfiguratio
nParser.APR.txt
*
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfiguratio
nParser.NIO.txt
*
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfiguratio
nParser.NIO2.txt

Would it be worth it to annotate some of these tests as being "not
connector-specific" and then running them only a single time?
Depending upon the number of them, it could significantly reduce the
time it takes to run all of the unit tests.

- -chris

Re: [VOTE] [OT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.5.19

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 3:59 PM, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On 7/26/17 2:34 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 25/07/2017 00:22, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.5.19 release is now available for
>>> voting.
>>>
>>> The major changes compared to the 8.5.16 release are:
>>>
>>> - Enable TLS connectors to use Java key stores that contain
>>> multiple keys where each key has a separate password. Based on a
>>> patch by Frank Taffelt.
>>>
>>> - Make asynchronous error handling more robust. In particular
>>> ensure that onError() is called for any registered AsyncListeners
>>> after an I/O error on a non-container thread.
>>>
>>> - Sync SSL session access for the APR connector to prevent errors
>>> when accessing the session.
>>>

>>> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>>>

>>> It can be obtained from:
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.5.19/
>>> The Maven staging repo is:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-11
> 46/
>>>

> The svn tag is:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.5.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_5_19/
>>>

> The proposed 8.5.19 release is:
>>> [ ] Broken - do not release [X] Stable - go ahead and release as
>>> 8.5.19
>>
>> All unit tests passed with NIO, NIO2 and APR/native (1.2.12) on
>> Linux Windows and macOS.
>
> I've noticed that there are some tests which have no bearing on the
> type of connector, yet are run for each type of connector. For example
> (from my test report):
>
> * org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.APR.txt
> * org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO.txt
> * org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO2.txt
> *
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfiguratio
> nParser.APR.txt
> *
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfiguratio
> nParser.NIO.txt
> *
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfiguratio
> nParser.NIO2.txt
>
> Would it be worth it to annotate some of these tests as being "not
> connector-specific" and then running them only a single time?
> Depending upon the number of them, it could significantly reduce the
> time it takes to run all of the unit tests.

+1. Any place we can speed up the test execution is good with me.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 11:31 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Mark,

> > 46/
> >>>

> > The svn tag is:
> >>>

> > The proposed 8.5.19 release is:
> >
> >> All unit tests passed with NIO, NIO2 and APR/native (1.2.12) on
> >> Linux Windows and macOS.
> >
> > I've noticed that there are some tests which have no bearing on the
> > type of connector, yet are run for each type of connector. For example
> > (from my test report):
> >
> > * org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.APR.txt
> > * org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO.txt
> > * org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher.NIO2.txt
> > *
> > org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfiguratio
> > nParser.APR.txt
> > *
> > org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfiguratio
> > nParser.NIO.txt
> > *
> > org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestOpenSSLCipherConfiguratio
> > nParser.NIO2.txt
> >
> > Would it be worth it to annotate some of these tests as being "not
> > connector-specific" and then running them only a single time?
> > Depending upon the number of them, it could significantly reduce the
> > time it takes to run all of the unit tests.
>
> I don't know. The tests that take longer to run tend to be the ones that
> involve I/O.
>
> Does JUnit provide a way for us to annotate the tests in this way? If it
> does we could have one test run for all the non-IO tests and per
> connector test runs for all the other tests.

Here is how we do it in Wicket:

- introduce a special annotation:

https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/d7e8fe2762700520a8856eda51f99eaa2678d002/wicket-util/src/main/java/org/apache/wicket/util/SlowTests.java
- annotate slow tests with it:
https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/9e42a9548adb0da540e4e87d491f5824e778537e/wicket-util/src/test/java/org/apache/wicket/util/io/ConnectionsTest.java#L32
- use Maven profile that skips slow tests and javadoc and sources
generation:
https://github.com/apache/wicket/blob/573fdf5739fb8a82223b54d551c343687b3aab35/pom.xml#L1166-L1193

usage:
mvn clean install -Pfast

It is not pure JUnit, but uses maven-surefire-plugin to control it, so I
cannot tell you what exactly is the JUnit launcher configuration.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.