Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Josh McKenzie <jm...@apache.org> on 2022/10/13 17:14:26 UTC

Cassandra project status update 2022-10-13

Late Post-ApacheCon update ftw! I'll probably give it 2.5 weeks before the next update so we have more time for things to settle and evolve as we run up to 4.1 rc and ga.

First off - for all of you who couldn't make it to ApacheCon: you were missed. New Orleans was great (and the food there undoubtedly takes time off one's lifespan...). For those of you who could make it - it was great to see new faces and meet new folks in person while also seeing some old-timers on the project as well! It's incredibly energizing to have newcomers to the project bring their energy and fresh perspectives and experiences to the group.

During the middle of the conference the 4.1-beta vote passed - the artifacts are available as mentioned in Mick's previous email here: https://lists.apache.org/thread/nd342c3k1s3swm77gn3j0td178y7fwns.

Videos of the talks from the NA ApacheCon 2022 Cassandra Track are available courtesy of Jeremy Hanna's upload here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tOhC7G2Ezp3W-SSs2J4CiLtlZ7hutuRP. I hear slides should be coming out at some point but haven't heard details on that yet.

On the topic of conferences, the Cassandra Summit returns in 2023 - see the blog post on the Cassandra blog here: https://cassandra.apache.org/_/blog/Cassandra-Summit-Returns-in-2023.html. It will be held in San Jose California, March 13-14 2023 and will be hosted by the Linux Foundation. Call for Proposals aren't quite open yet but you can see a guide on starting to get information together here: https://events.linuxfoundation.org/cassandra-summit/program/cfp/. Also, the conference is looking for sponsors so if your employer would be interested in sponsoring or if *you* would like to be a sponsor of this event, please reach out to sponsorships@linuxfoundation.org.

Circling back to 4.1 as is tradition on these emails now, we need to first cover a change that's in flight: https://lists.apache.org/thread/26gw66ohl8zbo4ozj3yvhk19wkzl0qw0. The TL;DR: we just finished voting on allowing using ASF Jenkins OR circleci as release gating criteria for official Cassandra releases. This is largely a stopgap as we continue to work to improve the stability of the ASF CI infrastructure.

As a snapshot of where we are today: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=484. We have 6 issues blocking RC, only 1 of which is unassigned (CASSANDRA-17773 - Incorrect cassandra.logdir on Debian systems) which looks like more of an administrative oversight as Claude appears to be active on it. We do have one ticket that needs committer attention (CASSANDRA-17873 - Opcodes.ASM7 should be used in UDFByteCodeVerifier to support JDK11) that Ekaterina's working on. If any committers have some spare cycles your attention here would be greatly appreciated!

[New Contributors Getting Started]
Documentation contributions, website contributions, anything in the unassigned list on 4.0.x or 4.x here that you feel up to tackling: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=484&quickFilter=2160. The world is your oyster. :)

We have 35 total "Starter Tickets" (i.e. a mentor has determined that the ticket is _probably_ a bit more bite-sized and good for getting to know the project) across our various releases that are unassigned right now: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=484&quickFilter=2160&quickFilter=2162

Here's reference explaining the various types of contribution: https://cassandra.apache.org/_/community.html#how-to-contribute
An overview of the C* architecture: https://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/cassandra/architecture/overview.html
The getting started contributing guide: https://cassandra.apache.org/_/development/index.html
We hang out in #cassandra-dev on https://the-asf.slack.com and there's a @cassandra_mentors alias you can use to reach a bunch of us that have volunteered to help newcomers get situated. If you need an invite to the slack channel feel free to reply to just me on this email and I'll get you set up.

[Dev list Digest]
https://lists.apache.org/list?dev@cassandra.apache.org:lte=14d:

Pretty busy couple of weeks. There's an ongoing discussion about password validation and generation and CEP-24 that is covering some really solid ground on just how far is appropriate to go with the feature, what we'd like as operators, what we think is industry standard in our field, etc. You can chime in on the thread: https://lists.apache.org/thread/454tmo2r9238rj69j7h3xv43crygv31m

We have a new episode of the Apache Cassandra Corner on staging that'll go live Friday night - if you'd like, feel free to preview it and provide Aaron with your feedback: https://lists.apache.org/thread/7prkk4dndfvf8oxsb17o74z61wknrn45

Derek Chen-Becker (ApacheCon presenter extraordinaire!) is looking for reviewers on a circleci config and doc fix - we have PR's for that linked in his email: https://lists.apache.org/thread/lt0tplx19k6xvbl9f0pg0q5jql0r4j8t. @Derek - do we have JIRA's for this yet? That'd get them visible in our standard workflows so I could highlight them from the status emails here.

We drove to consensus on the inclusion of the Agrona library with the points being raised about the dangers of overlapping functionality and documenting the "preferred and idiomatic Way To Do Things" in a code-base where you have multiple first-class options: https://lists.apache.org/thread/zk9hjk1rklcof1pmw555no032pmr3001. I don't think anyone took away the ToDo item of actually revising our Code Style guidelines (https://cassandra.apache.org/_/development/code_style.html) about library usage - maybe that'd be something good for someone to do when they add a library @Branimir? :)

James reached out about joining the slack, which is what led me to realize I should include that little detail above in this status email: https://lists.apache.org/thread/53rmbdz8f089b00mwfwsnv5kmbdsjjhd

The thread about whether we should move from 4.2 to 5.0 had a straggler from Patrick a couple weeks ago; I'm still firmly in the camp of "we should more rigorously document our JDK commitments and signpost upcoming JDK support addition and removal w/major versions", but words are cheap and Ekaterina's doing the hard work on the JDK17 support for now so I'll just shut up on that topic. :)

Berenguer's looking for feedback re: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14227, extending the maximum expiration date. Benedict provided some feedback on the mailing list regarding concerns w/memory pressure (which is being finicky because of mail threading w/an unrelated reply) -> thread starting w/the reply and proposal for delta encoding here: https://lists.apache.org/thread/j36ps2tsjjchfm1msl3v8xghox1djgyt. If you have a perspective on this please feel free to chime in.

And last but certainly not least Brad keeps fighting the good fight on modernizing and cleaning up our python: https://lists.apache.org/thread/14wlyv2skmkn6jlg9ojh134c3p20ypg8! No harm in being careful and hitting up the dev list about removing and replacing libraries.

[ASF CI Trends]
https://butler.cassandra.apache.org/#/

Here's our trends on our branches for the last two weeks:

3.0: 10 -> 13
3.11: 17 -> 22
4.0: 5 -> 6
4.1: 11 -> 14
trunk: 11 -> 7

The spike in 4.1 appears to be local socket binding errors: https://ci-cassandra.apache.org/job/Cassandra-4.1/181/testReport/dtest-offheap.replication_test/TestSnitchConfigurationUpdate/test_rf_collapse_property_file_snitch/, ccmlib.common.UnavailableSocketError: Inet address 127.0.0.2:7000 is not available: [Errno 98] Address already in use; a cluster may already be running or you may need to add the loopback alias

This is something we saw intermittently in the past but anecdotally appears to be becoming more prevalent. Not sure if we have a JIRA for it yet

[CircleCI Status]
Andres de la Peña is working on CASSANDRA-17938 (allow multiple tests to be multiplexed in one run) and CASSANDRA-17939 (automatically detect and repeat new or modified JUnit tests), Derek's working on getting our test suite coverage into parity on CASSANDRA-17950 (enable dtest-offheap in circle-ci). We'll need to do another audit of which tests are running in ASF CI and not in Circle to ensure that the coverage there matches; several conversations have gone on about this in slack, email threads, and JIRA, so if I've missed something here please ping the thread. Probably worth creating an epic to validate circle as a CI env that we can use to validate a release; I'll get on that.

[Release progress]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=484&quickFilter=2175

4.1 rc / ga:
- Fixed - Zero length files in the audit folder would prevent a node startup (CASSANDRA-17933)
- Fix StorageService.getNativeaddress not handling IPv6 addresses correctly in all cases (CASSANDRA-17945)
- Test fix on dtest.repair_tests (CASSANDRA-17005)
- Fix on RateLimitingTest when running pre-V5 (CASSANDRA-17927)
- Fixed inability to autocomplate "WITH" when creating materialized views (CASSANDRA-17879)

4.0.x:
- Fix for LongBufferPoolTest flakiness (CASSANDRA-16681)

4.X / Next: 9 issues
- Fixed IllegalArgumentException in Gossiper due to concurrent mutations (CASSANDRA-17908)
- Inclide the estimated active compaction remaining write sizes when starting new compactions (CASSANDRA-17931)
- Add support for mixed mode support for internode auth during TLS upgrades (CASSANDRA-17923)
- Allow 0 to be used in collection_size guardrails to prohibit collections (CASSANDRA-17551)
- Re-upgrade Mockito to 4.7.0 after CASSANDRA-17750 (CASSANDRA-17946)

We're super close to 4.1 rc, and we have a _ton_ of exciting _post_ 4.1 stuff coming from all angles in the community; really excited to see this coming together. Thanks everyone!

~Josh

Re: Cassandra project status update 2022-10-13

Posted by Josh McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.
Awesome - was missing the link to CASSANDRA-17930. That's a good home to link these efforts to. Thanks!

Posted by Derek Chen-Becker <de...@chen-becker.org>.
Hi Josh,