Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2011/06/02 16:38:51 UTC

Re: Reg ChainReducer usage

Moving to mapreduce user.

Ravi,

The issue is with the shuffle.  The chain reducer cannot re-shuffle the output of a previous reducer.  If you want that then you need to run a second reduce only job.  Instead usually the chain reducer would have a single reducer followed by 0 or more mappers, that can process the output of the reducer.

--Bobby

On 6/2/11 5:25 AM, "Ravi Teja" <ra...@huawei.com> wrote:

Hi,

I Had some queries in the usage of the ChainReducer .

1)Only one reducer can be set. If we try to set the second reducer to the
chain, IllegalArgumentException will be thrown. Then why is it a
chainreducer ?

2)We have a option chain.reducer.byValue where in, it will decide whether
the key value pair can be passed or not to the next Mapper/Reducer.
But why is this property significant, as only reducer is called at last in
the chain, no matter whatever the order is in the chain and there is nothing
to pass to.

Regards,
Ravi Teja

but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or
dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is