Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by preeti kumari <pr...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/05 10:03:37 UTC

for lengthy search string edismax parser doesnot work but dismax works

Hi All,

For lengthy search string (chars more than 150) edismax parser doesnot
work. It starts giving OOM heap error.

But same query with dismax works and no heap issue.

Can anyone help me with any parameter to tweak such queries to make it work
with edismax parser?

Thanks
Preeti

Re: for lengthy search string edismax parser doesnot work but dismax works

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 10/5/2016 4:03 AM, preeti kumari wrote:
> For lengthy search string (chars more than 150) edismax parser doesnot
> work. It starts giving OOM heap error. But same query with dismax
> works and no heap issue. Can anyone help me with any parameter to
> tweak such queries to make it work with edismax parser?

There are exactly two solutions to the OutOfMemoryError regarding heap
space:

1) Increase the heap size.
2) Decrease the memory requirements.

The default heap size that Solr 5.0 and later starts with is 512MB.
This is a very small heap size.  We are aware that the default is very
small -- this is intentional, so that the default install is runnable on
virtually any hardware.

Almost all production Solr installs will require increasing the heap
size.  If you get a little bit of data in a Solr install and then make
complex query requests, it can easily require more than 512MB of total heap.

You appear to be asking about option number 2 above ... but I believe
you'll be better off with option number 1.

There also might be elements here of a general XY problem:

http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: for lengthy search string edismax parser doesnot work but dismax works

Posted by Walter Underwood <wa...@gmail.com>.
We have production traffic with 1000 word free text edismax queries. They are slow, but
they have never caused an OOM error.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org <ma...@wunderwood.org>