Posted to dev@community.apache.org by SUSHRITH B <bo...@gmail.com> on 2022/12/25 07:00:13 UTC

How to start contributing to Apache Organisation

Hello,

I am Sushrith Bogi, pursuing engineering in Information Technology, 2nd
year. I want to contribute in GSoC 2023 in Apache organisation.I am aware
of C, C++, Python, Java, HTML and CSS.I don't know where to start and what
new technologies and languages to learn to make it to GSoC 2023,please help
me.I am a very quick learner and hardworking,I hope you will be replying.

Thank you,
Sushrith.

Re: How to start contributing to Apache Organisation

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Le mar. 27 déc. 2022 à 06:48, Priya Sharma
<pr...@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hello Gilles,
> Can you also share where we can find the list of Apache projects
> participating in GSoC 2023?

Not before it is known ;-) but a first approximation could be the list of the
projects that tagged tasks in the bug-tracking system with the "gsoc2022"
label:
  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STATISTICS-54?jql=labels%20%3D%20gsoc2022
[You could also try variants thereof (changing the year appended to "gsoc").]

Note that browsing the list of all of a project's issues (i.e. without
the "gsoc"
label) may turn up less daunting tasks (since those geared for GSoC are,
by definition, supposed to require full-time work for several weeks).
It could also give a feeling of the project's more urgent needs.

Engaging successfully with those projects which you find interesting might
increase the odds that they participate again this year.  [If you are interested
in projects that did not participate in previous years, you could suggest that
they do.]
Some projects have a long list of well-defined features to be implemented,
others may not have that, though the list of "nice-to-have" functionalities
could be even longer.
Engaging early enables discussion and coming up with a task, suitable for
GSoC, based on actual knowledge of what will be required to make the
experience beneficial for both parties (the project and the contributor).

Regards,
Gilles

Posted by Tanmoy Sarkar <ts...@gmail.com>.
Thanks you for your reply
Will explore the projects.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

Posted by Tanmoy Sarkar <ts...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Priya Sharma <pr...@gmail.com>.
Hello Gilles,
Can you also share where we can find the list of Apache projects
participating in GSoC 2023?

On Tue, 27 Dec 2022 at 06:07, Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Le lun. 26 déc. 2022 à 22:37, SUSHRITH B <bo...@gmail.com> a écrit :
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am Sushrith Bogi, pursuing engineering in Information Technology, 2nd
> > year. I want to contribute in GSoC 2023 in Apache organisation.I am aware
> > of C, C++, Python, Java, HTML and CSS.I don't know where to start and what
> > new technologies and languages to learn to make it to GSoC 2023,please help
> > me.I am a very quick learner and hardworking,I hope you will be replying.
>
> There are many, many, projects at the ASF.
> Where to start primarily depends on what you are interested in.
> If you are asking what language to learn, I guess that Java is a
> safe choice.
> A good way to increase your proficiency is probably to read the
> code of projects to which you might want to apply, and start to
> contribute as soon as possible.
>
> Regards,
> Gilles

Best Regards,
Priya

Re: How to start contributing to Apache Organisation

Posted by Gilles Sadowski <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi.