Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joe Greenawalt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/21 18:04:16 UTC

tomcat 7.0.4 on MAC my app works on Windows get...

tomcat 7.0.4 on MAC my app works on Windows get...

SEVERE: Exception starting filter struts2
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Lorg/apache/velocity/app/VelocityEngine;

i have removed all other applications from the webapps and have restarted
the box.

Application is built with maven, and i used the exact same war file.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks,
Joe

Re: tomcat 7.0.4 on MAC my app works on Windows get...

Posted by Michael Ludwig <mi...@gmx.de>.
Joe Greenawalt schrieb am 21.12.2010 um 12:04 (-0500):
> tomcat 7.0.4 on MAC my app works on Windows get...
>
> SEVERE: Exception starting filter struts2
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Lorg/apache/velocity/app/VelocityEngine;
>
> i have removed all other applications from the webapps and have
> restarted the box.
>
> Application is built with maven, and i used the exact same war file.

The JAR containing Velocity is missing at runtime. Or if present, it
doesn't have the class the filter needs. Is Velocity in the WAR in
WEB-INF/lib?

--
Michael Ludwig

Re: tomcat 7.0.4 on MAC my app works on Windows get...

Posted by Joe Greenawalt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Someone here was passing it to tomcat on the startup along with a bunch of
other jvm parameters, probably in hopes of trying increase the performance.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Joe Greenawalt <jo...@gmail.com>.
RESOLUTION for those that come across this or are interested.
so i added velocity and velocity-tools to the pom and took them out of the
lib folder and it failed, just as it did before.  After some research, i
came across a 'similar' problem, where they mentioned the *-Xverify* jvm
option.  So i went to the appservers and sure enough it was there *
-Xverify:none*, so i removed it and it came up without a problem.  Not sure
if this is a java/tomcat7-6/struts combination, but i don't know of any
reason to have this so i simply removed it and i'm moving on.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: tomcat 7.0.4 on MAC my app works on Windows get...

Posted by Joe Greenawalt <jo...@gmail.com>.
"interestingly its not" - not located in either place (mac/windows tomcat)
as a velocity-[version].jar

I downloaded Velocity+V-Tools and added them to TOMCAT_HOME/lib folder and
now it works.
Its not on my mac anywhere, that i can find in a self contained jar file.
 Plus we don't have the dependency directly in our pom, thats why i first
assumed it was bundled with something or the problem wasn't what it was
reporting.

Posted by Michael Ludwig <mi...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Joe Greenawalt <jo...@gmail.com>.
interestingly its not, and when i add it to windows it works (with some
other things like velosity tools), but i still don't have it on my mac or in
the app and it runs there.  So i have a workaround, but still don't
understand how.  Guess i'll add it to the pom.

Thanks for the input and help.

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Christopher Schultz <

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: tomcat 7.0.4 on MAC my app works on Windows get...

Posted by Michael Ludwig <mi...@gmx.de>.
Joe Greenawalt schrieb am 21.12.2010 um 15:22 (-0500):
> Good points, i'll start searching for them.  Anyone have a OS X jar
> inspector recommendation?  'jarinspector' itself doesn't work on 10.6.

Searching? For starters, you should check the following:

dir  "%TOMCAT_HOME%"\lib
type "%TOMCAT_HOME%"\conf\catalina.properties
dir  "%java_home%"\jre\lib\ext

--
Michael Ludwig

Re: tomcat 7.0.4 on MAC my app works on Windows get...

Posted by Joe Greenawalt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Good points, i'll start searching for them.  Anyone have a OS X jar
inspector recommendation?  'jarinspector' itself doesn't work on 10.6.

Thanks for the feedback.

Joe

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Christopher Schultz <

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: tomcat 7.0.4 on MAC my app works on Windows get...

Posted by Michael Ludwig <mi...@gmx.de>.
Joe Greenawalt schrieb am 21.12.2010 um 13:26 (-0500):
> Well since its the exact same war file placed in the exact same
> version of tomcat, the main variable being the OS (mac/windows)

Not necessarily. The Tomcats might well be configured differently.
What's the contents of the %Tomcat_Home%\lib\ folder on Windows?
Or anything in conf\catalina.properties?

Same story for the JVM. Velocity in lib/ext/, who knows?
--
Michael Ludwig

Re: tomcat 7.0.4 on MAC my app works on Windows get...

Posted by Joe Greenawalt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Well since its the exact same war file placed in the exact same version of
tomcat, the main variable being the OS (mac/windows) my thinking is that the
class does exist, but its getting loaded differently or something else is
causing the problem but this log error is getting reported.  If it will
help, i can try to find it in the jar files.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joe Greenawalt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Some more info, (should have provided first time) and I've attached the log
files after a clean install and a fresh startup:

web.xml:

<context-param>

 <param-value>
/WEB-INF/spring/applicationContext.xml,/WEB-INF/spring/securityContext.xml</
param-value>

</context-param>

    <filter>

       <filter-name>UrlRewriteFilter</filter-name>

       <filter-class>org.tuckey.web.filters.urlrewrite.UrlRewriteFilter</
filter-class>

    </filter>

    <filter-mapping>

       <filter-name>UrlRewriteFilter</filter-name>

       <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>

    </filter-mapping>

 <filter>

  <filter-name>springSecurityFilterChain</filter-name>

  <filter-class>org.springframework.web.filter.DelegatingFilterProxy</
filter-class>

  <init-param>

    <param-name>targetClass</param-name>

    <param-value>org.springframework.security.util.FilterChainProxy</
param-value>

  </init-param>

</filter>

<filter-mapping>

    <filter-name>springSecurityFilterChain</filter-name>

    <url-pattern>/j_spring_security_security_check</url-pattern>

  </filter-mapping>

  <filter-mapping>

    <filter-name>springSecurityFilterChain</filter-name>

    <url-pattern>/j_spring_security_logout</url-pattern>

  </filter-mapping>

  <filter-mapping>

    <filter-name>springSecurityFilterChain</filter-name>

    <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>

  </filter-mapping>

 <filter>

 <filter-name>openEntityManagerInViewFilter</filter-name>

 <filter-class>
org.springframework.orm.jpa.support.OpenEntityManagerInViewFilter</
filter-class>

</filter>

<filter-mapping>

 <filter-name>openEntityManagerInViewFilter</filter-name>

 <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>

 <dispatcher>FORWARD</dispatcher>

 <dispatcher>REQUEST</dispatcher>

</filter-mapping>

<filter>

 <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>

 <filter-class>

 org.apache.struts2.dispatcher.FilterDispatcher

 </filter-class>

</filter>

<filter-mapping>

 <filter-name>struts2</filter-name>

 <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>

</filter-mapping>

<filter>

 <filter-name>sitemesh</filter-name>

 <filter-class>com.opensymphony.module.sitemesh.filter.PageFilter</
filter-class>

</filter>

<filter-mapping>

 <filter-name>sitemesh</filter-name>

 <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>

 <dispatcher>FORWARD</dispatcher>

 <dispatcher>REQUEST</dispatcher>

</filter-mapping>

<welcome-file-list>

 <welcome-file>welcome.jsp</welcome-file>

</welcome-file-list>

<listener>

 <listener-class>

 org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener

 </listener-class>

</listener>

    <error-page>

 <error-code>403</error-code>

 <location>/err403.jsp</location>

</error-page>

    <error-page>

        <error-code>404</error-code>

        <location>/err404.jsp</location>

    </error-page>

    <error-page>

        <error-code>500</error-code>

        <location>/err500.jsp</location>

    </error-page>

</web-app>

Here is the lib Folder of Tomcat:

annotations-api.jar  jasper-el.jar                        tomcat-api.jar
catalina-ant.jar     jasper.jar                           tomcat-coyote.jar
catalina-ha.jar      jsp-api.jar                          tomcat-dbcp.jar
catalina-tribes.jar  mysql-connector-java-5.1.13-bin.jar  tomcat-i18n-es.jar
catalina.jar         sapjco3.jar                          tomcat-i18n-fr.jar
ecj-3.6.jar          servlet-api.jar                      tomcat-i18n-ja.jar
el-api.jar           sqljdbc-1.2_0.jar                    tomcat-util.jar

Here is the lib Folder of the deployed app:

activation-1.1.jar
antlr-2.7.6.jar
aopalliance-1.0.jar
axis-1.4.jar
axis-jaxrpc-1.4.jar
axis-saaj-1.4.jar
axis-wsdl4j-1.5.1.jar
bcmail-jdk14-136.jar
bcprov-jdk14-136.jar
commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar
commons-codec-1.3.jar
commons-collections-3.2.jar
commons-digester-2.1.jar
commons-discovery-0.2.jar
commons-fileupload-1.2.1.jar
commons-io-1.3.2.jar
commons-lang-2.4.jar
commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
delego-1.1.1.jar
dom4j-1.6.1.jar
ejb3-persistence-1.0.2.GA.jar
fedex-ws-1.0.jar
freemarker-2.3.15.jar
hibernate-annotations-3.4.0.GA.jar
hibernate-commons-annotations-3.1.0.GA.jar
hibernate-core-3.3.1.GA.jar
hibernate-entitymanager-3.4.0.GA.jar
itext-2.1.0.jar
jasperreports-3.1.2.jar