Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com> on 2017/04/10 07:42:28 UTC

Proposed Wiki Update

Hi,

I have attached a proposed update to the apacheds wiki in the form of an
svn diff against the trunk.

Unfortunately, I haven't got access to a compatible wiki (I use apache
jspwiki) and so have not been able to verify my markup. Please assume
there are errors which will require correction before achieving a common
look-and-feel with the existing page content.

Also...

I was strongly tempted to change the title of this particular wiki page,
number 1.4.3. I resisted the temptation for two reasons:

1. I do not understand why it is called "Adding your own partition resp.
suffix", but perhaps I am just being dim? I don't understand the
abbreviation "resp." For what it is worth, I would prefer it to be
called simply "Adding your own partition", or perhaps "Adding your own
partition and associated root suffix"?

2. I can see the exact title is used in the navigation tags of other
pages and so I would not want to break those inter-page links.

I hope this is helpful!

Brian

Re: Proposed Wiki Update

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Biran,

<snipping the content>

I do think that granting you commit acces is probably the easiest solution !

Let's do that.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Proposed Wiki Update

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.
On 11/04/17 18:15, Emmanuel L�charny wrote:

> Le 11/04/2017 � 09:13, Brian Burch a �crit :

>>> I agree :)
>>
>> Thank you both for your trust, which is very flattering. It would not
>> be misplaced, but is probably more trouble than it is worth to the
>> project team.
>
> Well, it's rally a mater of process, at this point, and it's also make
> it easier for us as we don't have to commit your changes ;-)

<snip/>

>> Please don't think I am ungrateful... I use a lot of open source
>> products and try to contribute whenever I can as partial repayment for
>> the hard work of others.
>
> That's just fine, and we are grateful for your patches, and we are also
> pleased to apply them !
>
> Many thanks !

Forgive me for messing you around. I realise you all have your own work
and personal lives to deal with...

I have just reviewed my changes on the wiki and I am not satisfied with
the current situation. I have a fairly complex set of changes I would
like to make - provided you agree with my proposal. I now realise it
would probably be simpler for us all if I had committers access to the
staging wiki.

1. Firstly, I am surprised that my correction to the urls in the table
still do not render properly. I have found similar tables on other
apache project wikis, but can't see what is wrong with my own markdown.
I probably need to experiment a little to get it right.

2. I originally proposed adding my "creating a new partition" changes to
the Basic UG because that was where the original information existed.
However, now that I can see the entire page I realise some of the
original content, along with most of my own change, isn't "basic" at
all. I would prefer to move most of the non-studio content into the
Advanced UG and leave a short sentence with a linking url in the Basic UG.

Based on my short experience, I am not confident I can send you a set of
diffs that are 100% correct first time. I believe iteration in a sandbox
is the most professional approach. What do you think?

Brian

Re: Proposed Wiki Update

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 11/04/2017 à 09:13, Brian Burch a écrit :
> On 11/04/17 16:26, Stefan Seelmann wrote:

>>> I would be inclined to offer commit access to Brian, at this point. It
>>> would ease his work.
>>>
>>> wdyt ?
>>
>> I agree :)
>
> Thank you both for your trust, which is very flattering. It would not
> be misplaced, but is probably more trouble than it is worth to the
> project team.

Well, it's rally a mater of process, at this point, and it's also make
it easier for us as we don't have to commit your changes ;-)

> I do not anticipate making many more changes, either in the short or
> the long term, so perhaps it would be simpler to leave the situation
> as it stands?
Your call.

> I do not intend to make a thorough audit of the wiki, although I might
> suggest one or two more changes in the course of my current work.

Please feel free to do so !

> I encountered a non-critical NPE while updating the schema, for which
> I intend to write a new test case and possibly a fix. However, I would
> be happier if those updates were checked by soemone more familiar with
> the code so, again, it probably isn't worth making me a committer.

In any case, filling a JIRA might help. It's probably something stupid
in the server code, but it worth being fixed and noted in teh release
note, something that we do by checking the closed JIRAs. Process, process...

> I also have been working on my own version of a systemd service file
> collection for apacheds, but haven't yet arrived something that seems
> clean and stable enough for publication.
That would be a great addition to our installers and daemon: we haven't
yet investigated systemd, due to lack of time !

Re: Proposed Wiki Update

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.
On 11/04/17 16:26, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> On 04/11/2017 08:19 AM, Emmanuel L�charny wrote:

>>> I'm afraid only committers can access the staging area, so just publish
>>> it :)
>>
>> I would be inclined to offer commit access to Brian, at this point. It
>> would ease his work.
>>
>> wdyt ?
>
> I agree :)

Thank you both for your trust, which is very flattering. It would not be
misplaced, but is probably more trouble than it is worth to the project
team.

I do not anticipate making many more changes, either in the short or the
long term, so perhaps it would be simpler to leave the situation as it
stands?

I do not intend to make a thorough audit of the wiki, although I might
suggest one or two more changes in the course of my current work.

I encountered a non-critical NPE while updating the schema, for which I
intend to write a new test case and possibly a fix. However, I would be
happier if those updates were checked by soemone more familiar with the
code so, again, it probably isn't worth making me a committer.

I also have been working on my own version of a systemd service file
collection for apacheds, but haven't yet arrived something that seems
clean and stable enough for publication.

Please don't think I am ungrateful... I use a lot of open source
products and try to contribute whenever I can as partial repayment for
the hard work of others.

Thanks for your help and advice,

Brian

Re: Proposed Wiki Update

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 04/11/2017 08:19 AM, Emmanuel L�charny wrote:

> Le 10/04/2017 � 23:23, Stefan Seelmann a �crit :
>> On 04/10/2017 04:36 PM, Emmanuel L�charny wrote:
>>
>>> I have applied your changes, and it's now visible for verification on
>>> http://directory.staging.apache.org/apacheds/basic-ug/1.4.3-adding-partition.html.
>>>
>>> If you like it, I can publish it. It seems good to me, just for the record.
>> I'm afraid only committers can access the staging area, so just publish
>> it :)
>
> I would be inclined to offer commit access to Brian, at this point. It
> would ease his work.
>
> wdyt ?

I agree :)

Re: Proposed Wiki Update

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Proposed Wiki Update

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 11/04/2017 à 03:21, Brian Burch a écrit :

>>> I have applied your changes, and it's now visible for verification on
>>> http://directory.staging.apache.org/apacheds/basic-ug/1.4.3-adding-partition.html.
>>>

>>> If you like it, I can publish it. It seems good to me, just for the
>>> record.
>>
>> I'm afraid only committers can access the staging area, so just publish
>> it :)
>
> Sorry to be a nuisance, but I now realise my suggested change to the
> User Guide section 1.4.3 uses single underscores to denote an italic
> string.
>
> Could someone please check the generated html page carefully because
> my single instance of "_config.ldif_migrated_" might not render
> properly. Apparently, coding it as "*config.ldif_migrated*" ought to
> work as I intended.

Stefan and I fixed the issue.

Thanks a lot !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: Proposed Wiki Update

Posted by Brian Burch <br...@pingtoo.com>.
On 11/04/17 07:23, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> On 04/10/2017 04:36 PM, Emmanuel L�charny wrote:
>>

>> Le 10/04/2017 � 09:42, Brian Burch a �crit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have attached a proposed update to the apacheds wiki in the form of
>>> an svn diff against the trunk.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I haven't got access to a compatible wiki (I use apache
>>> jspwiki) and so have not been able to verify my markup. Please assume
>>> there are errors which will require correction before achieving a
>>> common look-and-feel with the existing page content.
>
> There's also a way to edit, preview and send patches using the CMS, see
> https://www.apache.org/dev/cmsref.html#non-committer, especially 3rd
> paragraph and the mentioned video tutorial.

I was rather daunted by that page, especially the comments about how a
committer needs to adopt a change created by a non-committer. I decided
it would be simpler to submit my small number of changes as diffs after
learning how to code the markdown!

I found
https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/markdown_syntax/#md_ex_text
and presume this is appropriate for the markdown syntax used in the
apacheds wiki.

>> I have applied your changes, and it's now visible for verification on
>> http://directory.staging.apache.org/apacheds/basic-ug/1.4.3-adding-partition.html.
>>
>> If you like it, I can publish it. It seems good to me, just for the record.
>
> I'm afraid only committers can access the staging area, so just publish
> it :)

Sorry to be a nuisance, but I now realise my suggested change to the
User Guide section 1.4.3 uses single underscores to denote an italic string.

Could someone please check the generated html page carefully because my
single instance of "_config.ldif_migrated_" might not render properly.
Apparently, coding it as "*config.ldif_migrated*" ought to work as I
intended.

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Proposed Wiki Update

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Re: Proposed Wiki Update

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 10/04/2017 à 09:42, Brian Burch a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have attached a proposed update to the apacheds wiki in the form of
> an svn diff against the trunk.
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't got access to a compatible wiki (I use apache
> jspwiki) and so have not been able to verify my markup. Please assume
> there are errors which will require correction before achieving a
> common look-and-feel with the existing page content.
>
> Also...
>
> I was strongly tempted to change the title of this particular wiki
> page, number 1.4.3. I resisted the temptation for two reasons:
>
> 1. I do not understand why it is called "Adding your own partition
> resp. suffix", but perhaps I am just being dim? I don't understand the
> abbreviation "resp." For what it is worth, I would prefer it to be
> called simply "Adding your own partition", or perhaps "Adding your own
> partition and associated root suffix"?
>
> 2. I can see the exact title is used in the navigation tags of other
> pages and so I would not want to break those inter-page links.
>

> I hope this is helpful!
>
> Brian

Many thanks !

I have applied your changes, and it's now visible for verification on
http://directory.staging.apache.org/apacheds/basic-ug/1.4.3-adding-partition.html.

If you like it, I can publish it. It seems good to me, just for the record.

I changed the title, because I was not able to remember why we added
'resp. suffix'... The page was created in 2008, never renamed since
them, and my guess is that 'resp.' is for well, I don't know. 'respective' ?

In any case, it's not anymore there, and I think I have fixed the
navigation too.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com