Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dominique JUSTE <dj...@yahoo.com> on 2010/11/25 22:05:29 UTC

javax.servlet.ServletException: BeanUtils.populate

Hello all,

Although I have used Struts for five years, I have been facing a trouble since Monday and I don't understand what's happening...

So may I ask for some help in this mailing list ?...

I rather prefer asking before drafting a long mail. :)

Sincerly,

Dominique
French Web developper

Re: javax.servlet.ServletException: BeanUtils.populate

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
If it's Struts-related, sure.

Dave

Posted by Dominique JUSTE <dj...@yahoo.com>.
Dear Li,

Thank you for your help. You are right : I should have avoided using arrays. I decided to turn all of them to List, it is easier to add elements on them.

I tried using your AutoList class, then I have less problems, but some exceptions remain. I will work on them tomorow, as I will go to cinema this evening :)

Those exceptions are due to lacking setters and getters.

I will let you know soon.

Thanks a lot again ! :)

Dom

Posted by Li Ying <li...@gmail.com>.
What happens when

Posted by Li Ying <li...@gmail.com>.
There will be only one class, which will be the class of the elements
in the List.

I just want to find the Constructor with the least parameters if there
are more than one constructors for this class.

Once I get the constructor, I can use it to create instance and append
it to List automatically. This is the final purpose of the AutoList
class.

RE: javax.servlet.ServletException: BeanUtils.populate

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
The day after Black Friday and most folks are still at the WalMart so I'll take a stab at some testcases

private E createElementByConstructor() {
		try {
			Constructor<E>[] constrArray = (Constructor<E>[]) elementClass
					.getConstructors();
			Constructor<E> constructor = null;
			Class[] paramTypes = null;

			for (Constructor<E> constr : constrArray) {
				if (constructor == null) {
/*this is executed first which is fine */
					constructor = constr;
					paramTypes = constr.getParameterTypes();
/*constr ParameterType (Class) count (e.g. 0) is less than number of Classes stored in local var paramTypes (e.g. 1) */
				} else if (constr.getParameterTypes().length < paramTypes.length) {
					constructor = constr;
					paramTypes = constr.getParameterTypes();
				}
			}/* Testcase  execution 1st pass Class is Class1 with 1 parameter named fu*/
Class=Class1 parameter=fu
Constructor is now Class1(fu)
paramTypes.length is now 1

/* Testcase execution 2nd pass Class is Class2 with 0 parameters*/
Class=Class2   0 parameters                      so                  constr.getParameterTypes().length()==0 < paramTypes 1
Constructor is now Class2();
paramTypes.length is now 0

/* Testcase execution 3rd pass Class is Class2 with 2 parameters parameter=fu and parameter=bar */
Class3  parameter fu, parameter bar    so constr.getParameterTypes().length()==2 < paramTypes 0            FAILS!!!!
assignments to variables of constructor and paramTypes are bypassed

Constructor is STILL Class2();

paramTypes.length is STILL 0

is this what you intend?
Martin

Posted by Dominique JUSTE <dj...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

You may download the project at this URL : http://athe.pagesperso-orange.fr/EssaiA.zip

zip file contains Java sources in /WEB-INF/src :-) you will find a small part of the real project, this one is very big.

Here's the form bean :
package bean;

public class PageFormulaire extends ActionForm {

	/**
	 *
	 */
	private Personne liste[];

	public Personne[] getListe() {
		return liste;
	}
	public void setListe(Personne[] liste) {
		this.liste = liste;
	}
	public void setNom(int index , Personne nom) {
		if (liste == null)
			liste = new Personne[index + 1];
		if (liste.length <= index) {
			Personne[] t = new Personne[index + 1];
			int i = 0;
			while (i < liste.length) {
				t[i] = liste[i];
				i++;
			}
			liste = t;
		}
		liste[index] = nom;
	}
	public Personne getNom(int index) {
		if (liste == null)
			liste = new Personne[index + 1];
		if (liste.length <= index) {
			Personne[] t = new Personne[index + 1];
			int i = 0;
			while (i < liste.length) {
				t[i] = liste[i];
				i++;
			}
			liste = t;
		}
		return liste[index];
	}

}

Here's Personne bean :

package bean;

public class Personne extends ActionForm {
	/**
	 *
	 */
	private String nom;
	private String prenom;

	public String getNom() {
		return nom;
	}
	public void setNom(String nom) {
		this.nom = nom;
	}
	public String getPrenom() {
		return prenom;
	}
	public void setPrenom(String prenom) {
		this.prenom = prenom;
	}
}

Thanks,

Dom

Posted by Peter Nguyen <pe...@peternguyen.id.au>.

Posted by Brian Thompson <el...@gmail.com>.
Just a guy who had a cool idea once ... the web (easily googled for
details).

Brian

Sent via my Droid, Eka.

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dominique JUSTE <dj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Maurizio Cucchiara <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dominique JUSTE <dj...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Martin,

What do you mean ?

RE: javax.servlet.ServletException: BeanUtils.populate

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
who are the Bangles?

Martin

Posted by Dominique JUSTE <dj...@yahoo.com>.
No problem, Dave.

Any idea about my problem ?...

As I'm supposed to release this application on the 15th December, I'm getting worse... I found a solution, but I really want to understand my error.

Thanks,

Dom

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dominique JUSTE <dj...@yahoo.com>.