Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1997/07/24 15:00:50 UTC

Re: [SECURITY] What to do with security bug which I found?

I agree with the comments about MS's handling of password data,
however, I think that in this case, the browser has supplied Apache
with the information, what we do with it is our responsibility.
Handling this case is rather sticky. This may be an issue where we
need to document the fact that these sorts of log files contain
sensitive information and should not be stored with permissions
allowing unauthorized access. The challenge is then left up to the
admin....

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <La...@unix-ag.org>.
According to Randy Terbush:

> I agree with the comments about MS's handling of password data,
> however, I think that in this case, the browser has supplied Apache
> with the information, what we do with it is our responsibility.
> Handling this case is rather sticky. This may be an issue where we
> need to document the fact that these sorts of log files contain
> sensitive information and should not be stored with permissions
> allowing unauthorized access. The challenge is then left up to the
> admin....

At least mod_proxy should take care that such bogus requests are
not forwarded, IMHO.

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht