Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/15 17:07:07 UTC

Headline for board agenda web pages

Hi,

The title for the board agenda changes depending on which page is currently being viewed. The "agenda home page" is currently "2021-03-17".

The challenge for me (world's tiniest violin plays in back) is that my browser orders the page list in the "Windows" dropdown.

So if I'm in the middle of reviewing the President's report, the browser thinks I'm viewing "President". Which means that if I want to return to the agenda, I have to find the page last viewed. There is no longer a "2021-03-17" page in the dropdown.

I'd much prefer the title to not change from "2021-03-17". Or at least have the title change to "2021-03-17/President".

If someone can point me to the place where this is done, I'm happy to try to "fix" it.

Any other ideas?

Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Headline for board agenda web pages

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 8:33 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sam,
>
> > On Mar 15, 2021, at 2:15 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 1:07 PM Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The title for the board agenda changes depending on which page is currently being viewed. The "agenda home page" is currently "2021-03-17".
> >>
> >> The challenge for me (world's tiniest violin plays in back) is that my browser orders the page list in the "Windows" dropdown.
> >>
> >> So if I'm in the middle of reviewing the President's report, the browser thinks I'm viewing "President". Which means that if I want to return to the agenda, I have to find the page last viewed. There is no longer a "2021-03-17" page in the dropdown.
> >
> > If memory serves, that was done because you used to keep multiple open
> > tabs, and having each tab say the current date wasn't helpful when you
> > wanted to identify which one had a given report open.
>
> I've looked at the current behavior and it solves both problems. With Safari, the titles show up as e.g. "2021-04-21 Board Chair", "2021-04-21 Treasurer", "2021-04-21 Fundraising". Once I have many tabs open, the titles suddenly change to remove the "2021-04-21" part of the title.
>
> And in the drop-down, the tab that is open shows the full title even though the tab shows the abbreviated title.
>

> >> I'd much prefer the title to not change from "2021-03-17". Or at least have the title change to "2021-03-17/President".
> >
> > It sounds like we need a way for an individual to set a preference.
>
> But in Chrome, the tab title does not change regardless of how many tabs are open. And with many tabs, the only part of the title that is visible is the "2021-04-21" part.
>
> Firefox behaves like Chrome.
>
> I'm at a loss to explain why Safari seems to be smarter than the other browsers ;-) , but the different behavior would argue in favor of a preference. But I won't push for it because my browser of choice and the current agenda tool behave exactly as I like.

Cool.

Armed with the knowledge that [1] is all it took to make that change
possible, could I talk you into trying to make the corresponding
change to the JavaScript version of the tool[2]?

If you bring up the tool, pressing "D" will bring you to a developer
page where you can find plenty of documentation and ways to explore
live data.

I recommend first going from there to the Documentation/Guides, and
running through the brief React/Redux demo.  Once you are done with
that, return to the Developer Tools page, click on store, expand
"Client" and observe the value of the meetingDate.

This should give you enough background to enable you to add that bit
of state to the props passed to the Header component, and to use that
prop when updating the textContent of the title.

Best of all, edit/compile/debug is reduced to edit/save/observe
results as the browser window will automatically be updated
automatically[3] as you save your changes.

A test for this change can be added to
src/client/layout/__tests__/header.js.  You can run tests with the
command "yarn test", and tests will also automatically be re-run as
you save your changes.

[1] https://github.com/apache/whimsy/commit/c277085198807f9a2aafae53daa6d8294af6e8b1
[2] https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs/
[3] https://github.com/rubys/whimsy-board-agenda-nodejs/blob/master/docs/overview/performance.md#reconciliation

> Craig

- Sam Ruby

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sam,

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 1:07 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The title for the board agenda changes depending on which page is currently being viewed. The "agenda home page" is currently "2021-03-17".
>
> The challenge for me (world's tiniest violin plays in back) is that my browser orders the page list in the "Windows" dropdown.
>
> So if I'm in the middle of reviewing the President's report, the browser thinks I'm viewing "President". Which means that if I want to return to the agenda, I have to find the page last viewed. There is no longer a "2021-03-17" page in the dropdown.

If memory serves, that was done because you used to keep multiple open
tabs, and having each tab say the current date wasn't helpful when you
wanted to identify which one had a given report open.

> I'd much prefer the title to not change from "2021-03-17". Or at least have the title change to "2021-03-17/President".

It sounds like we need a way for an individual to set a preference.

> If someone can point me to the place where this is done, I'm happy to try to "fix" it.

The code is here:
https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/eebbc16bcc2c3d7ee4f39359d8be01d6357dbe04/www/board/agenda/views/layout/main.js.rb#L72

> Any other ideas?

We probably need to tackle the idea of user preferences first.
Initials are stored in a per-user yaml file today.  That's probably
the place to store the preference.  What needs to be worked out is the
UI.

> Craig
>
> Craig L Russell
> clr@apache.org