Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es> on 2012/04/15 22:00:06 UTC

Javamelody and Struts

Dear all,

   Javamelody is supposedly very easy to install for Tomcat but We do
have a webapp using the Struts framework and I can't figure out how to
configure Javamelody or get any error log of what I'm doing wrong. The
web.xml example in the Javamelody is blocking my webapp to work (we use
forwarders).

   Regards,

   Miguel

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.
> You asked the Tomcat users' group, not the Javamelody users' group:
> did you expect to find many Javamelody experts around here?
The author is around and some other users too, since the recommendation
of using this software actually came from this user group.

Also in the beginning I thought It was a Tomcat or Struts issue

Sorry if my questions bothered you

Miguel

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.
On 28/04/2012 22:50, evernat wrote:
> Hi Miguel,
>
> First, javamelody.war is *optional*. I suggest to try javamelody without
> using it.
> You may read the user guide for help with this:
> http://code.google.com/p/javamelody/wiki/UserGuide
> (if you have an exception, please copy the complete stack-trace)
>
> Then, there is an issue with Tomcat 5.5, only if you use javamelody v1.36.
> See http://code.google.com/p/javamelody/issues/detail?id=207
> It will be fixed in v1.37 soon.

That was the issue, we could have started with that :-)

Using v1.35 worked great. I'm even using the collector of version 1.36
and it works together with the javamelody.jar from v1.35.

Thanks for the answer,

Miguel

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by evernat <ev...@free.fr>.
Hi Miguel,

First, javamelody.war is *optional*. I suggest to try javamelody without
using it.
You may read the user guide for help with this:
http://code.google.com/p/javamelody/wiki/UserGuide
(if you have an exception, please copy the complete stack-trace)

Then, there is an issue with Tomcat 5.5, only if you use javamelody v1.36.
See http://code.google.com/p/javamelody/issues/detail?id=207
It will be fixed in v1.37 soon.

Emeric

Miguel González Castaños wrote

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.

> Miguel,
>
> On 4/26/12 5:58 AM, Miguel González Castaños wrote:
>> On 26/04/2012 03:58, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>>
>>> Miguel,

>> By the way, double checking the info from my web browser I get this
>> is a verisign class 3 secure server G3
> It looks like you were using the "EV" intermediate certificates
> before. This page[1] says that C3G3 certs are not frequently used
> except for client certificates... is that what you've got?
>
> [1] http://www.verisign.com/support/roots.html
>
>> I'm sorry but I come from the Apache world and I'm pretty new to
>> Tomcat. Also I have inherited this server and the configuration is
>> messy.
> When you use Java, you generally have to work with keystores. It's
> just a file full of keys and certificates. Think of a Java keystore as
> all of the following httpd directives mashed together into a single
> binary entity:
>
>    SSLCertificateKeyFile
>    SSLCertificateFile
>    SSLCertificateChainFile
>    SSLCACertificateFile
>
> Also, you have to use an "alias" that Tomcat uses (it's "tomcat") as
> the alias for the certificate to actually use for the server (as
> opposed to any other certificates you might have in the keystore).
>
>> Maybe I'm wrong but should I add the CAcert somewhere in the SSL
>> connector?
> There's no place to do that: the whole chain must be in the keystore,
> including the CA root all the way down to your own certificate. You
> may be able to get away with not having the very top-root CA
> certificate... I haven't worked too much with Java keystores so it's
> possible that there is a set of root, trusted certificates that are
> inherited by all keystores, but there are many ways to
> create/configure a ServerSocketFactory, so it's probably possible to
> set one up both with or without that globally-recognized set of root
> CA certs (i.e. those trusted by the JVM implicitly).
>
> If you are getting this error in Javamelody, then you need to
> configure Javamelody properly -- this isn't a Tomcat thing if web
> browsers can connect properly to Tomcat via HTTPS.
Thanks for your answers, they have lead me to (partly) the solution.

I found some clues here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=4164840&prodTypeId=18964&objectID=c03023432
<http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=4164840&prodTypeId=18964&objectID=c03023432>

I didn't have to add the certificate to the tomcat keystore, but to the
java keystore of the JRE

Now I get a javamelody error reporting the app hasn't been configured to
use javamelody, so no more SSL handshake errors

Many thanks,

Miguel

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Miguel,

On 4/26/12 5:58 AM, Miguel González Castaños wrote:

>> Miguel,

> By the way, double checking the info from my web browser I get this
> is a verisign class 3 secure server G3

It looks like you were using the "EV" intermediate certificates
before. This page[1] says that C3G3 certs are not frequently used
except for client certificates... is that what you've got?

[1] http://www.verisign.com/support/roots.html

> I'm sorry but I come from the Apache world and I'm pretty new to
> Tomcat. Also I have inherited this server and the configuration is
> messy.

When you use Java, you generally have to work with keystores. It's
just a file full of keys and certificates. Think of a Java keystore as
all of the following httpd directives mashed together into a single
binary entity:

  SSLCertificateKeyFile
  SSLCertificateFile
  SSLCertificateChainFile
  SSLCACertificateFile

Also, you have to use an "alias" that Tomcat uses (it's "tomcat") as
the alias for the certificate to actually use for the server (as
opposed to any other certificates you might have in the keystore).

> Maybe I'm wrong but should I add the CAcert somewhere in the SSL
> connector?

There's no place to do that: the whole chain must be in the keystore,
including the CA root all the way down to your own certificate. You
may be able to get away with not having the very top-root CA
certificate... I haven't worked too much with Java keystores so it's
possible that there is a set of root, trusted certificates that are
inherited by all keystores, but there are many ways to
create/configure a ServerSocketFactory, so it's probably possible to
set one up both with or without that globally-recognized set of root
CA certs (i.e. those trusted by the JVM implicitly).

If you are getting this error in Javamelody, then you need to
configure Javamelody properly -- this isn't a Tomcat thing if web
browsers can connect properly to Tomcat via HTTPS.

- -chris

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Miguel,

On 4/26/12 3:35 AM, Miguel González Castaños wrote:
>> If no web browser reports the server certificate as not valid,
>> then what's the problem?
>>
> From my original email:
>
> "Now that I'm trying to configure javamelody in Tomcat 5 with HTTPS
> I get the following error when I try to add the context and the
> failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException:
> unable to find valid certification path to requested target."

So this is an error you get from Javamelody? I thought you were
getting this on the server you were monitoring (i.e. the main webapp,
not javamelody).

> I'm trying to add my context and the URL for my webapp in the
> javamelody application:
>
> http://myweb.com/javamelody/?

Forgive my ignorance (I have no experience with Javamelody), but is
this how you add a webapp to javamelody for monitoring?

> I get two fields and an Add button to do that. In my tests I was
> able to do add a monitor for my webapp if it uses the HTTP protocol
> but not in the production system where it uses HTTPS.
>
> The question is, how do I know that I have added the right
> intermediate certs from verisign?

I thought you needed to configure your own Tomcat server to *use* an
SSL certificate. It seems that you were already doing that without a
problem (because most clients seem to be happy with the certificate
chain presented by the server).

If Javamelody won't connect, it's probably because Javamelody is using
some keystore that doesn't have the intermediate certificates that I
was discussing. You should check the Javamelody documentation for what
keystore it uses, or how it can be configured to use the keystore of
your choice.

At this point, I think you need to go to the Javamelody folks and ask
over there: this does not seem to be a Tomcat-related problem at all.

- -chris

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.
> If no web browser reports the server certificate as not valid, then
> what's the problem?

 From my original email:

"Now that I'm trying to configure javamelody in Tomcat 5 with HTTPS I
get the following
error when I try to add the context and the URL:
  javamelody avax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.
>>> Please post your SSL<Connector>   configuration (cleansed of any
>>> passwords).
                acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"
keystorePass="*******"
                            keystoreFile="/opt/tomcat5/certs/tcc"
keyAlias="importkey"
                clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" compression="500"

compressableMimeType="text/html,text/xml,text/plain,application/octet-stream"
/>

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.
> Do those certificates match the type of certificate that you have?
> Last time I checked, VeriSign had a whole set of intermediate
> certificates and you need the ones that match the type of certificate
> you have (EV versus whatever the other flavors they have are).
Which other flavors? How do I know?

>> keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias EV_root -keystore
>> /opt/tomcat5/certs/tcc -file veriCA1.cer
> Is /opt/tomcat5/certs/tcc the file you have configured in Tomcat?
It's the keystore and yes, configured in tomcat

> Please post your SSL<Connector>  configuration (cleansed of any
> passwords).
>
> Finally, you didn't post your original stack trace. Since this is
> happening on the server-side, it's either a problem during startup or
> during client-certificate verification. Since you mentioned the "site
> certificate", I assume you are having problems with your server's SSL
> certificate and not a client certificate being presented by a remote
> client, right?
I'm not sure what you mean with the server and client certificates. No
web browser reports the server certificate as no valid.

> Can you show me what this command returns:
>
> $ keytool -list -keystore /opt/tomcat5/certs/tcc -v

Your keystore contains 3 entries

Alias name: evintermediate
Creation date: Apr 24, 2012
Entry type: trustedCertEntry

Owner: CN=VeriSign Class 3 Secure Server CA - G3, OU=Terms of use at
https://www.verisign.com/rpa (c)10, OU=VeriSign Trust Network,
O="VeriSign, Inc.", C=US
Issuer: CN=VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5,
OU="(c) 2006 VeriSign, Inc. - For authorized use only", OU=VeriSign
Trust Network, O="VeriSign, Inc.", C=US
Serial number: 6ecc7aa5a7032009b8cebcf4e952d491
Valid from: Mon Feb 08 01:00:00 CET 2010 until: Sat Feb 08 00:59:59 CET 2020
Certificate fingerprints:
          MD5:  3C:48:42:0D:FF:58:1A:38:86:BC:FD:41:D4:8A:41:DE
          SHA1: 5D:EB:8F:33:9E:26:4C:19:F6:68:6F:5F:8F:32:B5:4A:4C:46:B4:76

Alias name: ev_root
Creation date: Apr 24, 2012
Entry type: trustedCertEntry

Owner: CN=VeriSign Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority - G5,
OU="(c) 2006 VeriSign, Inc. - For authorized use only", OU=VeriSign
Trust Network, O="VeriSign, Inc.", C=US
Issuer: OU=Class 3 Public Primary Certification Authority, O="VeriSign,
Inc.", C=US
Serial number: 250ce8e030612e9f2b89f7054d7cf8fd
Valid from: Wed Nov 08 01:00:00 CET 2006 until: Mon Nov 08 00:59:59 CET 2021
Certificate fingerprints:
          MD5:  F9:1F:FE:E6:A3:6B:99:88:41:D4:67:DD:E5:F8:97:7A
          SHA1: 32:F3:08:82:62:2B:87:CF:88:56:C6:3D:B8:73:DF:08:53:B4:DD:27

Alias name:
Creation date: Feb 24, 2012
Entry type: keyEntry
Certificate chain length: 1
Certificate[1]:
Owner: CN=www.mycompany.com, OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.com/rpa
(c)05, OU=Comercial, O="My OU  S.L.", L=My city, ST=Madrid, C=ES
Issuer: CN=VeriSign Class 3 Secure Server CA - G3, OU=Terms of use at
https://www.verisign.com/rpa (c)10, OU=VeriSign Trust Network,
O="VeriSign, Inc.", C=US
Serial number: 7afc00006539f4e816f7fe6b65f47af0
Valid from: Sat Feb 11 01:00:00 CET 2012 until: Fri Apr 12 01:59:59 CEST
2013
Certificate fingerprints:

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.
On 23/04/2012 23:35, Miguel González Castaños wrote:
> On 23/04/2012 23:00, Miguel González Castaños wrote:
>>> Have you imported all of the "intermediate" certificates from
>>> VeriSign. I think that for some SSL certificates, you need *two*
>>> intermediate certificates from VeriSign.
>> No, I didn't know that I had to do that. Where can I download those
>> intermediate certificates?
>>
>> Many thanks for the hint
> I found them here I believe
>
> http://www.verisign.com/support/verisign-intermediate-ca/secure-site-intermediate/index.html
>

> I will give it a try
I've downloaded the certificates as veriCA1.cer and veriCA2.cer and run:

keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias EV_root -keystore
/opt/tomcat5/certs/tcc -file veriCA1.cer

keytool -import -trustcacerts -alias EVIntermediate -keystore
/opt/tomcat5/certs/tcc -file veriCA2.cer

after that I restarted Tomcat.

Unfortunately I'm getting the same error

Miguel

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.
On 16/04/2012 12:43, Darryl Lewis wrote:
> Make sure the monitoring code is before the struts call.
>
> On 16/04/12 5:38 PM, "Miguel González Castaños"
> <mi...@yahoo.es>  wrote:
>
>> On 16/04/2012 09:34, Debraj Mallick wrote:
>>> hi there,
>>>
>>> to access use :*http://<host>/<context>/monitoring*
>>>
>>> link:
>>> *http://code.google.com/p/javamelody/wiki/UserGuide#3._First_results*
>> Don't get me wrong, but what does it matter the access URL if my webapp
>> doesn't even work?
Hi,
  I was able to configure javamelody in Tomcat 6 with a HTTP protocol in a virtual machine.

  Now that I'm trying to configure javamelody in Tomcat 5 with HTTPS I get the following
error when I try to add the context and the URL:
  javamelody avax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path building failed:
sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target.

  However the site certificate is signed by Verisign. What we are doing wrong?

  Regards,

  Miguel

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Darryl Lewis <da...@unsw.edu.au>.

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>.
Dear Debraj,

   I have followed these instructions and I can't figure out where to
access the monitoring tool.

   On 16/04/2012 07:02, Debraj Mallick wrote:
> hi there,
>
> in your web.xml include these
>
>      *<filter>
>          <filter-name>monitoring</filter-name>
>          <filter-class>net.bull.javamelody.MonitoringFilter</filter-class>
>      </filter>
>      <filter-mapping>
>          <filter-name>monitoring</filter-name>
>          <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
>      </filter-mapping>
>      <listener>
>          <listener-class>net.bull.javamelody.SessionListener</listener-class>
>      </listener>*

If I add this alone, my strut webapp doesn't work

> and
>
>                 *<interceptors>
>                          <interceptor name="monitoring"
> class="net.bull.javamelody.StrutsInterceptor"/>
>
>                          <interceptor-stack name="myStack">
>                                  <interceptor-ref name="monitoring"/>
>                                  <interceptor-ref name="defaultStack"/>
>                          </interceptor-stack>
>                  </interceptors>
>
>                  <default-interceptor-ref name="myStack"/>*
This is supposed to go in the struts config xml file, not in web.xml.
Anyway It doesn't work either.

> also put the jar files in your class path.
Which classpath and which jar files and where?

> help link: *
> http://code.google.com/p/javamelody/wiki/UserGuide#2._web.xml_file* and *
> http://code.google.com/p/javamelody/wiki/UserGuide#12._Struts_2_Actions*
Of course I have followed these instructions but they are not very
detailed. Also there is no error log or anything that shows me what I'm
doing wrong. In catalina.out there is no reference at all.

Miguel

Re: Javamelody and Struts

Posted by Debraj Mallick <sr...@gmail.com>.
hi there,

2012/4/16 Miguel González Castaños <mi...@yahoo.es>

> Dear all,
>
>  Javamelody is supposedly very easy to install for Tomcat but We do have a
> webapp using the Struts framework and I can't figure out how to configure
> Javamelody or get any error log of what I'm doing wrong. The web.xml
> example in the Javamelody is blocking my webapp to work (we use forwarders).
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Miguel

Thanks & Regards,
Debraj Mallick