Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Varnit Khanna <va...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/22 11:55:10 UTC

count columns via CQL

Hi,
Does CQL support returning count of columns for a given key? I
couldn't find anything in the documentation.

Thanks,
-varnit

Re: count columns via CQL

Posted by Eric Evans <ee...@acunu.com>.
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Varnit Khanna <va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does CQL support returning count of columns for a given key? I
> couldn't find anything in the documentation.

No, it doesn't.  That's due mostly to the fact that SQL doesn't
provide anything for this; It could be implemented, but would require
contriving the language for it (like we did for slices)

It's worth noting though, there is nothing inherently efficient about
our server-side count operation.  We query the columns, count them,
and return the value.  Any savings come from avoiding the transfer of
columns to the client.

--
Eric Evans
Acunu | http://www.acunu.com | @acunu