Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Anton Puzanov <an...@gmail.com> on 2019/02/25 07:55:14 UTC

Spark pools

Hello everyone,

I have been looking into Spark pools and have two questions I would really
like to get answers about.

1. Are pools available when Yarn is used as resource manager?
2. Do pools define static partitioning of the cluster? I mean, if I define
two pools (using xml file) with equal weight, and only submit jobs to one
of them, will only half of the resources be utilized? in other words will
Spark reserve the resources of the seconds pool?

Regarding the second question, is it different with on the fly
configuration of pools (when pool is created from the code without it
appearing in XML), and if the resources are not reserved, how exactly the
cluster re-balance itself? i.e. what is the process of getting resources to
the second pool once applications are submit to it?

Thanks,
Anton