Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <am...@apache.org> on 2010/05/08 09:25:06 UTC

Cayenne 'the book', Was: Cayenne 3.0 is released

On 7/05/10 10:48 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:
> I've just started (about a week ago) to put together a book of sorts
> (more of a workbook).

While any such contribution would be extremely useful, what can we do at Apache to integrate those efforts into the website and official documentation?

* Open up the wiki area for broader contributions?
* Better collaborative tools (Confluence can be a bit awkward in places)?
* Restructuring of the website?
* Anything else?

Naturally anything you create can be published elsewhere and linked from the official documention, but I'd be keen to see how we can improve the core docs at the same time. In particular I think that a 'Everything a Hibernate user needs to know about Cayenne.' manual would be great. Any takers from our there in userland for someone who has made the switch and could write about it?

Despite my previous attempt at comedy, publishing a book would certainly aid in credibility. And having published three editions of a book in my life before IT, I have a little experience in that area I'd be willing to bring toward such a project. But there is a lot of writing to do first. And here is another excellent open source project which has just recently released a book:

   http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=78

If you sign up for an annual support contract with the authors, you get a free PDF version. I have such a copy and it really is excellent, but it would have been a big effort to create.

Regards

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: Cayenne 'the book', Was: Cayenne 3.0 is released

Posted by Arnaud Garcia <ar...@imagemed-87.com>.
Hello,

Thanks Ari,

Ready to help !

Writing a book for Cayenne is very important for the project now... (for
marketing...) But beyond marketing lot of developpers (as me) know just 20%
of what we can do with Cayenne... and it is a bit frustrating..

Another point, is the integration with other frameworks (Tapestry, Wicket,
...). In the book we have to add some parts for this, because in a web
project, ORM is important, but we have to work with all of theses
frameworks, and you know that it is also a challenge !

It is very hard to find a book which talk about how to build a full web
application. But I really think,  we can do this because developpers just
need to know 'how to start' and how to correctly integrate these frameworks.

Very often IT managers, developpers choose a framework because they have a
complete example... So if we want to help Cayenne developpers teams we have
to share our experience with these frameworks integration problems...and I
really think it is a key for the success...

So, I think it will be very interesting two have some 'parts' with real
project (kind of real life tutorial):

A VERY simple draft can be:

... PART I : CAYENNE
            -
            - architecture of the framework..
            -  ...
            -
... PART II : WEB PROJECTS
      -
      - Wicket
             - how to set up a project : Maven, Cayenne, selenium....
             - how to wrap Cayenne object with Wicket models ?
                   - Why Wicket serialization mechanism could be a problem
with Cayenne ...
             -
             - How to test your web app : Selenium configuration,
             - Optimization: Jmeter configuration (Thread group, ...)

      - Tapestry

.... PART 3

Arnaud