Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by "Srinivas, Kaushik (Nokia - IN/Bangalore)" <ka...@nokia.com> on 2019/06/03 11:52:13 UTC

kafka connect stops consuming data when kafka broker goes down

Hello kafka dev,

We are encountering an issue when kafka connect is running hdfs sink connector pulling data from kafka and writing to hdfs location.
In between when the data is flowing in the pipeline from producer -> kafka topic -> kafka connect hdfs sink connector -> hdfs,
If even one of the kafka broker goes down, the connect framework stops responding. Stops consuming records and REST API also becomes not interactive.

Until the kafka connect framework is restarted, it would not pull the data from kafka and REST api remains inactive. Nothing is coming in the logs as well.
Checked the topics in kafka used by connect, everything has been reassigned to another broker and has the leader available.

Has anyone encountered this issue ? what would be the expected behavior ?

Thanks in advance
Kaushik

RE: kafka connect stops consuming data when kafka broker goes down

Posted by "Srinivas, Kaushik (Nokia - IN/Bangalore)" <ka...@nokia.com>.
Hi Paul,

We tried patching out kafka connect as well referencing the PR which you had shared. But no improvement in our case.
Have updated more details in the blocker issue which I have created for the same.

But the issue seems to be coming from the internal producers/consumers getting into hung state after the broker restarts.

Any other lead/inputs would be useful.
This issue is always reproducible even with/without data streaming in progress.

Thanks,
Kaushik

Posted by Paul Whalen <pg...@gmail.com>.