Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Christopher E. Welton" <cw...@maxmediamarketing.com> on 2004/03/02 06:51:34 UTC

Printing to STDOUT/browser

Folks:

I recently re-installed mod_perl on my development computer from source.
I downgraded from Apache2/mp2 to Apache 1.3.29/mp 1.29 in order to match
versions with my production server.

Since the reinstall I have had a strange problem. Printing small strings
like "foo" using "print" without a filehandle or "croak" have not
yielded any output to either the browser or the error_log. Printing long
strings works ok, like printing the results of a cgi::formbuilder
script. This leads me to believe that this may be a buffering problem.
However, I have never encountered this behavior with MP before and have
not had problems with buffering in MP before. Can someone offer a
pointer?

Also, if anyone knows how to have apache/mp send errors to the browser
directly rather than to the error_log, that would be much appreciated.

Details:

I am running RH9 on AMD Athlon; Linux version 2.4.20-8
(bhcompile@stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red
Hat Linux 3.2.2-5))

The relevant portion of my httpd.conf is as follows:

PerlRequire /var/www/perl/startup.pl
#PerlOptions +SetupEnv
PerlSetVar StatusOptionsAll On
#PerlSwitches -w
#PerlSwitches -T
#PerlModule Apache::Status
PerlSetEnv INSTALL_DIR "/var/www/soap/lead_site"
PerlSetEnv IS_DEV 1
PerlSetEnv EMAIL_SUPP_DIR "/var/www/soap/email_suppression"
PerlRequire
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/Registry.pm
Alias /index.html /index.pl
DirectoryIndex index.htm index.html index.pl

Alias /email/ /var/www/soap/email_suppression/
<Location /email>
	DirectoryIndex index.pl
	AllowOverride All
#	PerlFixupHandler +Apache::DB
#	PerlOptions +SetupEnv
	AddHandler perl-script .cgi .pl
	# reload modules upon change
	PerlInitHandler Apache::Reload
        PerlHandler Apache::Registry
        PerlSendHeader On
        Options +ExecCGI
</Location>

My Startup.pl looks like:

use strict;
use warnings FATAL => 'all';
use 5.008;

use Apache::Log ();

use Apache::Debug ();
use Apache::DBI ();

use CGI;
CGI->compile(':all');
use Apache::DBI;
DBI->install_driver("mysql");

use Apache::Request;
use Apache::File;
use Apache::Constants qw(:common REDIRECT);
use Apache::Util qw(:all);

1;

--
Best,

Chris Welton
M a x  M e d i a
New Media. New Revenues. Max Results.

Max Media
P.O. Box 5812
Santa Monica, CA 90409-5812

phone:    562-946-3370
cellular: 562-659-3072
fax:      703-940-8261
http://www.maxmediamarketing.com
ting.com

Re: Printing to STDOUT/browser

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Christopher E. Welton wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I recently re-installed mod_perl on my development computer from source.
> I downgraded from Apache2/mp2 to Apache 1.3.29/mp 1.29 in order to match
> versions with my production server.
>
> Since the reinstall I have had a strange problem. Printing small strings
> like "foo" using "print" without a filehandle or "croak" have not
> yielded any output to either the browser or the error_log. Printing long
> strings works ok, like printing the results of a cgi::formbuilder
> script. This leads me to believe that this may be a buffering problem.
> However, I have never encountered this behavior with MP before and have
> not had problems with buffering in MP before. Can someone offer a
> pointer?

It's possible that some code that you use changes $| w/o localizing it.
http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/perl_reference/perl_reference.html#The_Scope_of_the_Special_Perl_Variables

> Also, if anyone knows how to have apache/mp send errors to the browser
> directly rather than to the error_log, that would be much appreciated.

CGI::Carp::fatals_to_browser