Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by "Calderbank, John A" <jo...@optum.com> on 2015/02/19 22:54:33 UTC

PDF Bookmark names

Hello:

I am working with a PDF containing multiple documents - each of which has a named bookmark.  I need to access the bookmark names as part of a reconciliation application that I am building.  How can I use PDFBox to do that?

Thank you very much ...

John

Re: PDF Bookmark names

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Try the printBookmark example from the source code :-)

/*
  * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
  * contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  * this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
  * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  * the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
  *
  *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
  *
  * limitations under the License.
  */
package org.apache.pdfbox.examples.pdmodel;

import org.apache.pdfbox.pdfparser.PDFParser;

import org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDDocument;
import
org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.interactive.documentnavigation.outline.PDDocumentOutline;
import
org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.interactive.documentnavigation.outline.PDOutlineItem;
import
org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.interactive.documentnavigation.outline.PDOutlineNode;

import java.io.FileInputStream;
import java.io.IOException;

/**
  * This is an example on how to access the bookmarks that are part of a
pdf document.
  *
  * Usage: java org.apache.pdfbox.examples.pdmodel.PrintBookmarks
&lt;input-pdf&gt;
  *
  * @author <a href="mailto:ben@benlitchfield.com">Ben Litchfield</a>
  * @version $Revision: 1.2 $
  */
public class PrintBookmarks
{
     /**
      * This will print the documents data.
      *
      * @param args The command line arguments.
      *
      * @throws Exception If there is an error parsing the document.
      */
     public static void main( String[] args ) throws Exception
     {
         if( args.length != 1 )
         {
             usage();
         }
         else
         {
             PDDocument document = null;
             FileInputStream file = null;
             try
             {
                 file = new FileInputStream( args[0] );
                 PDFParser parser = new PDFParser( file );
                 parser.parse();
                 document = parser.getPDDocument();
                 if( document.isEncrypted() )
                 {
                     document.decrypt( "" );
                 }
                 PrintBookmarks meta = new PrintBookmarks();
                 PDDocumentOutline outline =
document.getDocumentCatalog().getDocumentOutline();
                 if( outline != null )
                 {
                     meta.printBookmark( outline, "" );
                 }
                 else
                 {
                     System.out.println( "This document does not contain
any bookmarks" );
                 }
             }
             finally
             {
                 if( file != null )
                 {
                     file.close();
                 }
                 if( document != null )
                 {
                     document.close();
                 }
             }
         }
     }

     /**
      * This will print the usage for this document.
      */
     private static void usage()
     {
         System.err.println( "Usage: java
org.apache.pdfbox.examples.pdmodel.PrintBookmarks <input-pdf>" );
     }

     /**
      * This will print the documents bookmarks to System.out.
      *
      * @param bookmark The bookmark to print out.
      * @param indentation A pretty printing parameter
      *
      * @throws IOException If there is an error getting the page count.
      */
     public void printBookmark( PDOutlineNode bookmark, String
indentation ) throws IOException
     {
         PDOutlineItem current = bookmark.getFirstChild();
         while( current != null )
         {
             System.out.println( indentation + current.getTitle() );
             printBookmark( current, indentation + "    " );
             current = current.getNextSibling();
         }

     }
}