Posted to dev@iota.apache.org by Tony Faustini <to...@litbit.com> on 2016/08/02 09:05:08 UTC

Call for the development of new performers....

Hi all, now that the Fey engine can be downloaded and there are a few performers available it should be possible to write your own performer using the existing ones as a template.
Or perhaps you have question on how to do this?
I wanted to get the communities feedback on what type of performers other might have thought of?
iota could be used at the device level, in the cloud or on standalone systems. What performers would be good to develop for each level. For example at the standalone or Cloud level
would it be useful to have a Kafka publisher/subscriber? An ActiveMQ publisher/Subscriber. On a device would  a Redis reader/writer an MQTT publisher/subscriber be useful.

We uploaded a ZMQ publisher/subscriber performer that we will have to take down because of the licensing terms of ZMQ.
Does that mean that all performers that have inappropriate licensing terms cannot be build?

Since Performers are Akka based would remote performers have a meaning?

Just a few thoughts to stimulate discussion. Looking forward to hear from you all.

-Tony

Re: Call for the development of new performers....

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> We uploaded a ZMQ publisher/subscriber performer that we will have to take down because of the licensing terms of ZMQ.
> Does that mean that all performers that have inappropriate licensing terms cannot be build?

We’d need to take a look at it but it may not needed to be "taken down" and is it doesn’t necessarily stop other performers with inappropriate licensing terms from being built.

It is possible to have optional products that have licenses that are not compatible with Apache 2.0 license. [1]

What we need to do is:
1. Make sure there’s no LGPL licensed code in any of our repos
2. Releases (source or binary) can’t include ZMQ code (or other inappropriate licensed code)

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional