Posted to dev@dubbo.apache.org by ulinkwo <ul...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/22 07:36:12 UTC

Which version to move dubbo-rpc-xxx dubbo-serialization-xxx dubbo-remoting-xxx and dubbo-registry-xxx to dubbo ecosystem

Hi, community

I plan to contribute for the Issue (
https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/issues/2316), But I could not
know which version release contains the issue.

Right now I the dubbo-serialization-fst based master code (2.7.0-SNAPSHOT),
so CI fails to build because it could not to find dubbo dependency version.
Why not to deploy dubbo-2.7.0-SNAPSHOT to central repo ?

What plan for this issue to finish all migrations,  Do we need to support
2.6.x which contains all modules ?

Sincerely.

Kyle

Re: Which version to move dubbo-rpc-xxx dubbo-serialization-xxx dubbo-remoting-xxx and dubbo-registry-xxx to dubbo ecosystem

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 23/08/18 02:47, Jerrick Zhu wrote:

<snip/>

> The question is whether we need to deploy 2.7.0-SNAPSHOT to central
> repository so that these moving modules can build successfully.

The short answer is you can't do that. Anything on Maven Central has to
be an official release and the -SNAPSHOT marker doesn't really fit with
that.

There are several options:
- formally release a milestone
- use the ASF's snapshot repo

From later discussion it looks like the snapshot repo is being explored.

Mark

Posted by Jerrick Zhu <je...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 7:58 PM Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> see my comments inlined below.
>

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 6:11 PM ulinkwo <ul...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, community
> >
> > I plan to contribute for the Issue (
> > https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/issues/2316), But I could not
> > know which version release contains the issue.
> >
> > Right now I the dubbo-serialization-fst based master code
> (2.7.0-SNAPSHOT),
> > so CI fails to build because it could not to find dubbo dependency
> version.
> > Why not to deploy dubbo-2.7.0-SNAPSHOT to central repo ?
> >

> CI should fail when some module is removed from the master, would you mind
> to provide the link? Furthermore, I think the correct sequence should be
> move the module into github.com/dubbo first, then remove the corresponding
> module from the main project, what do you think?
>
> It's not the problem about sequence, but the dependency of the moving
module. It depends on the 2.7.x bom, but it's also on developing, so CI
failed.

Posted by Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com>.
I mean that the single project dubbo-serialization-fst fails to build, I
> sent pull request from
> https://github.com/dubbo/dubbo-serialization-fst/pull/2

In this case, I think it's fine to have it depends on  2.7.0-SNAPSHOT once
you make it clear on how to build it in README. We could change it to 2.7.0
once we release 2.7.0 officially.

Here comes one relevant topic, I realized we should publish artifacts to
maven snapshot repos every time once CI passes, I will discuss if it's
achievable with others in one separated thread.

<https://github.com/dubbo/dubbo-serialization-fst/pull/2>

Posted by Jerrick Zhu <je...@apache.org>.
wrote:

> On 2018/08/22 11:58:25, Ian Luo <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > see my comments inlined below.
> >

> > On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 6:11 PM ulinkwo <ul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, community
> > >
> > > I plan to contribute for the Issue (
> > > https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/issues/2316), But I could
> not
> > > know which version release contains the issue.
> > >
> > > Right now I the dubbo-serialization-fst based master code
> (2.7.0-SNAPSHOT),
> > > so CI fails to build because it could not to find dubbo dependency
> version.
> > > Why not to deploy dubbo-2.7.0-SNAPSHOT to central repo ?
> > >

> > CI should fail when some module is removed from the master, would you
> mind
> > to provide the link? Furthermore, I think the correct sequence should be
> > move the module into github.com/dubbo first, then remove the
> corresponding
> > module from the main project, what do you think?
> >

> > > What plan for this issue to finish all migrations,  Do we need to
> support
> > > 2.6.x which contains all modules ?
> > >

> > We should leave branch 2.6.x as is, since it is delegated to maintenance
> > purpose.
> >

> > > Sincerely.
> > >
> > > Kyle
> > >

> I mean that the single project dubbo-serialization-fst fails to build, I
> sent pull request from
> https://github.com/dubbo/dubbo-serialization-fst/pull/2
>
> And my migration code is based on dubbo master, so the compilation would
> need dubbo 2.7.0-SNAPSHOT jar dependency which not found in maven central
> repo
>
> And I also had sent a pull request about removing dubbo-serialization-fst
> module from master (https://github.com/apache/incubator-dubbo/pull/2330)
>
> I not sure the community plan to remove the works in which version
> release, so my pull request is not accepted

This is on discussing, but master branch definitely needs to do.

You PR will be accepted after the discussing. We want to wait for other
folks' thoughts.

Again, your work is great.

Sincerely.

Jerrick