Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com> on 2005/02/04 00:26:53 UTC

[commons jelly swing] XForms DTD?

I read this post http://www.mozilla.org/press/mozilla-2005-02-02.html
and idea came up:

How would I start writing a XML reader that would read a DTD (Based on
XForms + JGoodies Forms Layout) and make a complex, nested Swing Panel?
Digester?

(If MDA is supposed to let us write C# AND Java.... XForums could be the
start of HTML or Swing or... )

Suggestions?
tia,
.V
--
Forums, Boards, Blogs and News in RiA <http://www.boardVU.com>

Re: [commons jelly swing] XForms DTD?

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
Generally.... doing the layout is not the hard thing, I feel... you
need to sync your model.
I sort of know XForms but also know it has some strong drawback, e.g.
it is quite uncapable of providing the user with the appearance to edit
mixed content...
XForms is based on XML Schema, by the way, not DTD!

JGoodies sounds commercial... or ?

XWing (http://xwing.sourceforge.net/) may be your friend... it's not
very live anymore but is a jelly-powered set of components with xml
nodes model. No DTD or Schema in here.

Jelly Swing could take an advantage of diving further in such a
direction... it hasn't come yet. It is amply capable of creating a
layout based on a complex data-structure...
(XML-parsing is very powerful in Jelly)

Two ingredients, I believe, are missing to JellySwing to become
powerful:
- the ability to reload a script thus repopulating a container, for
example, once you change an XML model as the result of a button. That's
already in but not much tested or used yet
- the ability to encode content directly in HTML using the Swing
HTML-pane thus allowing free-text presentation and html layout
capabilities (which everyone knows)

Remember one thing: JellySwing is bound to Swing and that brings its
strength... but also... no standard here like XForms does.

paul