Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Roth <ma...@sun.com> on 2002/08/19 22:47:57 UTC

VOTE: Restoring Tomcat examples: Which workspace?

It would be great to restore the examples (both JSP and Servlet) so that
they are deployed on startup and so they are easily accessible.  In the
current build they are broken links.

I also would like to commit a number of additional JSP examples that
illustrate the new features in JSP 2.0.

The default web application that is deployed on startup currently lives
in the catalina workspace.  I have no problems keeping it there, but
before committing such a change I wanted to take a vote on where we
think the examples should live.

    Vote:

    [ ] A. jakarta-tomcat-catalina
    [ ] B. jakarta-tomcat-jasper
    [ ] C. jakarta-tomcat-5

--
Mark Roth, Java Software
Co-Specification Lead for JSP 2.0

Re: VOTE: Restoring Tomcat examples: Which workspace?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Patrick Luby wrote:
> Remy,
>

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>

>> I just got a bit lazy after finishing the repackaging in j-s-5, and
>> thought I would do it the next day :-D
>>

> I don't think it is lazy to put this off. Instead, I think we are all
> trying to tackle higher priority issues first.
>
> Speaking of higher priority issues, I would vote for resolving the
> getHeaders() problem since they are causing Watchdog failures.
>
> Are you and Costin comfortable with Steve Downey's latest proposal
> (headers are split on "," for only the headers explicitly defined in the
> HTTP/1.1 specification)?

No, doing that for getHeaders would cause problems, as pointed out by
Costin.

I'm not convinced anymore the test is valid at all, after reading
Costin's arguments.

Strong -1 on changing the behavior of getHeader, but I could be talked
into implementing comma-parsing for getHeaders if you can prove Costin
was wrong.

Remy

Headers

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Patrick Luby wrote:

> Are you and Costin comfortable with Steve Downey's latest proposal
> (headers are split on "," for only the headers explicitly defined in the
> HTTP/1.1 specification)?

I am not.

I am ok ( and I think it is required ) to merge all headers with the
same name, but not to split.

Costin

Re: VOTE: Restoring Tomcat examples: Which workspace?

Posted by Patrick Luby <pa...@sun.com>.
Remy,

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> I just got a bit lazy after finishing the repackaging in j-s-5, and
> thought I would do it the next day :-D

I don't think it is lazy to put this off. Instead, I think we are all
trying to tackle higher priority issues first.

Speaking of higher priority issues, I would vote for resolving the
getHeaders() problem since they are causing Watchdog failures.

Are you and Costin comfortable with Steve Downey's latest proposal
(headers are split on "," for only the headers explicitly defined in the
HTTP/1.1 specification)?

Patrick

Patrick Luby                     Email: patrick.luby@sun.com
Sun Microsystems                         Phone: 408-276-7471
901 San Antonio Road, USCA14-303
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900

Re: VOTE: Restoring Tomcat examples: Which workspace?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Mark Roth wrote:
> I'm open to that possibility, as long as we're able to have then
> automatically deployed in Tomcat 5 builds.

Yes, I was planning to do that of course. The webapps will be built by
the scripts from the jakarta-servletapi-5 repository, and the result
will be copied to the webapps folder by the main Tomcat script.

Posted by Mark Roth <ma...@sun.com>.
I'm open to that possibility, as long as we're able to have then
automatically deployed in Tomcat 5 builds.

> >     Vote:
> >
> >     [ ] A. jakarta-tomcat-catalina
> >     [ ] B. jakarta-tomcat-jasper
> >     [ ] C. jakarta-tomcat-5
        [X] D. jakarta-servletapi-5

Given JB and Remy's comments, I change my vote to 'D'.

So that's 2 D's.

- Mark

Re: VOTE: Restoring Tomcat examples: Which workspace? NEW?

Posted by Ian Darwin <ia...@darwinsys.com>.
On August 20, 2002 11:42 am, you wrote:
> The examples are portable and independent of Tomcat, so I want them to
> go into jakarta-servletapi-5. I posted some time ago about that, and I
> was planning to do it.

Maybe a separate cvs repo? jakarta-servlet-examples?

Before I started getting involved I never bothered to download
the servlet-api download because I knew the container would
provide something I could compile against. Maybe they would
not be as visible if packaged inside servlet-api?

At the very least it should be built as a separate self-contained
examples.war file that can just be auto-deployed in any compliant container.

Ian

Re: VOTE: Restoring Tomcat examples: Which workspace?

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
Regarding examples/:

One think I would like to see is removal of all webapp-related config
from server.xml, and moving it to webapps/examples.xml ( there is already
code to support it ).

Not sure how it would work with the current jmx code ( the saving part),
but hopefully that will be replaced with the jndi stuff and it
will be even easier this way.

A second issue is related with the startup order/sequence.
I'll send a separate proposal with the details - I don't expect it
to be implemented very soon and is not a big priority, but nice
to have before releasing and nice to have agreement on it before.

Costin

Re: VOTE: Restoring Tomcat examples: Which workspace?

Posted by Bob Herrmann <bo...@jadn.com>.
On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 11:42, Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Mark Roth wrote:
> > It would be great to restore the examples (both JSP and Servlet) so that
> > they are deployed on startup and so they are easily accessible.  In the
> > current build they are broken links.
> >
> > I also would like to commit a number of additional JSP examples that
> > illustrate the new features in JSP 2.0.
> >
> > The default web application that is deployed on startup currently lives
> > in the catalina workspace.  I have no problems keeping it there, but
> > before committing such a change I wanted to take a vote on where we
> > think the examples should live.
> >
> >     Vote:
> >
> >     [ ] A. jakarta-tomcat-catalina
> >     [ ] B. jakarta-tomcat-jasper
> >     [ ] C. jakarta-tomcat-5
>
> The examples are portable and independent of Tomcat, so I want them to
> go into jakarta-servletapi-5. I posted some time ago about that, and I
> was planning to do it.
>
> Remy

jakarta-servletapi-5 sounds much better than A, B, or C.

Cheers,
-bob

Re: VOTE: Restoring Tomcat examples: Which workspace?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Roth <ma...@sun.com>.
The examples, just as in Tomcat 4, are small, portable JSP / Servlet
examples to illustrate how to use these technologies.

Because Tomcat forms the basis of the RI for Servlet/JSP, and because it
is so easy to use, many developers download it to try their hand at
Servlet/JSP development.  I thought it was great how Tomcat 4 provided a
set of pre-deployed examples, ready to go as soon as the server starts
up.

We should continue this for Tomcat 5 (right now the examples links are
broken).  The only question is which workspace to keep them in.

> >     Vote:
> >
> >     [ ] A. jakarta-tomcat-catalina
> >     [ ] B. jakarta-tomcat-jasper
> >     [ ] C. jakarta-tomcat-5

	- Mark

Posted by Bob Herrmann <bo...@jadn.com>.
Humm.  Are the examples Tomcat specific or should they work in any
JSP2.0 and Servlet 2.4 container?  If they are "generic" then perhaps
keeping them separate would encourage their reuse with other JSP/Servlet
projects.   Shouldn't every jsp server have a decent Snoop.jsp ?

Cheers,
-bob

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 16:47, Mark Roth wrote:
> It would be great to restore the examples (both JSP and Servlet) so that
> they are deployed on startup and so they are easily accessible.  In the
> current build they are broken links.
>
> I also would like to commit a number of additional JSP examples that
> illustrate the new features in JSP 2.0.
>
> The default web application that is deployed on startup currently lives
> in the catalina workspace.  I have no problems keeping it there, but
> before committing such a change I wanted to take a vote on where we
> think the examples should live.
>
>     Vote:
>
>     [ ] A. jakarta-tomcat-catalina
>     [ ] B. jakarta-tomcat-jasper
>     [ ] C. jakarta-tomcat-5
>
> --
> Mark Roth, Java Software
> Co-Specification Lead for JSP 2.0
> Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Cheers,
-bob

Re: VOTE: Restoring Tomcat examples: Which workspace?

Posted by Mark Roth <ma...@sun.com>.
>     Vote:
>
>     [X] A. jakarta-tomcat-catalina
>     [ ] B. jakarta-tomcat-jasper
>     [ ] C. jakarta-tomcat-5

Incidentally, my vote is A, but I'm flexible.

- Mark