Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Richard Lewis-Shell <rl...@mac.com> on 2005/06/06 05:44:33 UTC

Adding annotation support to Tapestry 4

Hi,

I think we should add annotation support to Tapestry 4.  The initial
hard work has already been done by Joni
(http://paloalto.laughingpanda.com/mediawiki/index.php/Tapestry_Annotations),
so this would mostly be a matter of merging his work (which has been
deliberately compatibly licensed BTW).  The benefit seems clear - and we
can claim support for one of Java 5's most interesting features (and by
extension, thus Java 5 itself).  The downside would be that we would
have to use Java 5 to build Tapestry.  Is that going to be a problem?

Because this is a completely new feature, I do not see a good reason to
wait.  Does anyone else?

There is another reason I am interested in seeing this incorporated into
Tapestry sooner rather than later - one of encouraging our user
community.  It seems to me that we are a strange open-source project -
we have a very good/strong user community, but not such a strong
developer community.  We are currently very Howard-centric - there is a
lot of looking to Howard to guide us/tell-us-how-it-will-be (eg.
recently it was suggested that template defaults were "in Howard's
hands", and this attitude permeates on the -user list).  While Howard
has done an incredible job of getting us this far, there is only so much
one person can do, even if that person is Howard!!!  I think we run the
very real risk of losing relevance to other popular projects in the same
space (JSF, struts etc) with more active developer communities.  We are
the only ones who can change that, and we do it (IMO) by encouraging
users to contribute more to the project, and the obvious way to
encourage user contribution is to incorporate those contributions that
fit well with Tapestry into the framework itself.

To bring this back to the here and now, annotation support is such a
user-contribution that I think fits well with Tapestry.

Richard

Re: Adding annotation support to Tapestry 4

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Because that way, the bulk of the Tapestry code can continue to be
compiled against JDK 1.3.

On 6/6/05, Henri Dupre <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think we should add annotation support to Tapestry 4.  The initial
> > hard work has already been done by Joni
> > (http://paloalto.laughingpanda.com/mediawiki/index.php/Tapestry_Annotations),
> > so this would mostly be a matter of merging his work (which has been
> > deliberately compatibly licensed BTW).
>
> Why should it be merged in the tapestry project if it works well as an
> extension?
>
> Henri.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: Adding annotation support to Tapestry 4

Posted by Henri Dupre <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I've been saying that it should be possible to add annotation support
to Tapestry via an add-on library that contributes to the
EnhancementWorkers configuration point.  Possibly, some refactoring of
the existing code would make it easier to re-use for this purpose.

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: Adding annotation support to Tapestry 4

Posted by Ron Piterman <mp...@vollbio.de>.
I Think the idee is great.

Posted by Ron Piterman <mp...@vollbio.de>.
Its really much fun, you should try it. It takes 30 min. to learn and
saves much time :)

ציטוט Geoff Longman:

Posted by Geoff Longman <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Lewis-Shell <rl...@mac.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'm working on adding annotation support even as we speak.  I felt
inspiried this afternoon.  It does mean compiling on JDK 1.5 to target
JDK 1.1, and it also means we can't use commons-lang anymore (it has a
package name thats illegal), so goodbye EnumPropertySelectionModel.

On 6/8/05, Richard Lewis-Shell <rl...@mac.com> wrote:
> I was hoping to get a little more feedback from the others here before
> deciding whether this needed to be put to a vote...
>
> The main issue to me is whether requiring JDK 5 to BUILD Tapestry is
> going to be workable?  If there's going to be problems there, we might
> be able to look at some sort of conditional compilation for the annotations.
>
> Richard
>
> Ron Piterman wrote:
> > So why not vote on adding it as an (unmature) extention to the tapestry
> > project?
> >

> > ציטוט Richard Lewis-Shell:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I think we should add annotation support to Tapestry 4.  The initial
> >> hard work has already been done by Joni
> >> (http://paloalto.laughingpanda.com/mediawiki/index.php/Tapestry_Annotations),
> >> so this would mostly be a matter of merging his work (which has been
> >> deliberately compatibly licensed BTW).  The benefit seems clear - and
> >> we can claim support for one of Java 5's most interesting features
> >> (and by extension, thus Java 5 itself).  The downside would be that we
> >> would have to use Java 5 to build Tapestry.  Is that going to be a
> >> problem?
> >>
> >> Because this is a completely new feature, I do not see a good reason
> >> to wait.  Does anyone else?
> >>
> >> There is another reason I am interested in seeing this incorporated
> >> into Tapestry sooner rather than later - one of encouraging our user
> >> community.  It seems to me that we are a strange open-source project -
> >> we have a very good/strong user community, but not such a strong
> >> developer community.  We are currently very Howard-centric - there is
> >> a lot of looking to Howard to guide us/tell-us-how-it-will-be (eg.
> >> recently it was suggested that template defaults were "in Howard's
> >> hands", and this attitude permeates on the -user list).  While Howard
> >> has done an incredible job of getting us this far, there is only so
> >> much one person can do, even if that person is Howard!!!  I think we
> >> run the very real risk of losing relevance to other popular projects
> >> in the same space (JSF, struts etc) with more active developer
> >> communities.  We are the only ones who can change that, and we do it
> >> (IMO) by encouraging users to contribute more to the project, and the
> >> obvious way to encourage user contribution is to incorporate those
> >> contributions that fit well with Tapestry into the framework itself.
> >>
> >> To bring this back to the here and now, annotation support is such a
> >> user-contribution that I think fits well with Tapestry.
> >>
> >> Richard

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: Adding annotation support to Tapestry 4

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
The annotation code will be segregated into a seperate module. We'll
be able to please everyone (I think).

Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry
Creator, Jakarta HiveMind

Re: Adding annotation support to Tapestry 4

Posted by tsvetelin saykov <ts...@gmail.com>.
Dear All,

From my point of view for half of the companies/users that use

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jun 8, 2005, at 7:26 PM, Richard Lewis-Shell wrote:

> I was hoping to get a little more feedback from the others here
> before deciding whether this needed to be put to a vote...
>
> The main issue to me is whether requiring JDK 5 to BUILD Tapestry
> is going to be workable?  If there's going to be problems there, we
> might be able to look at some sort of conditional compilation for
> the annotations.

Before the release of Mac OS X Tiger, I would have complained, but
I'm successfully running JDK 1.5 since upgrading and I think we can
now safely assume a stable JDK 1.5 on all relevant platforms now.

     Erik

Re: Adding annotation support to Tapestry 4

Posted by Richard Lewis-Shell <rl...@mac.com>.

Posted by Ron Piterman <mp...@vollbio.de>.

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
A compelling argument indeed.

Posted by liigo <li...@hotpop.com>.
在 Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:44:33 +0800,Richard Lewis-Shell
<rl...@mac.com> 写道:

I disagree with you.