Posted to dev@storm.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/08 05:42:45 UTC

Re: [storm-user] Re: ATTENTION - storm...@googlegroups.com is now deprecated.

Yes.  It is a requirement.

The basis of the requiring this is that the mailing lists are an archival
record of how design decisions were made (thus the saying that if it
doesn't happen on the list, it doesn't happen). This record is important
because it documents who contributed what, when and why.  That, in turn, is
important because of the Apache license standards.  In order to protect and
control the archival record, ASF requires that all mailing lists be handled
on Apache hardware.  Similar arguments apply to the master version control
system and to the master copy of all distribution artifacts.

Yes.  It can be a (small) pain.  No, it isn't a big deal to use the Apache
mailing lists.  Just as with the source control systems, there are
alternative interfaces available if you like.

The licensing rigor at Apache is a major factor, however, and rigor can't
be added retrospectively.  Such a requirement for rigor is also not shared
by external hosting services such as Google.  There isn't even a guarantee
that Google groups will be here next year (remember Reader?).

Many Apache products are very high profile and the development history of
some projects has been brought into court cases regarding intellectual
property and there are hints that certain groups have tried to inject
security faults by tampering with the development process (and not the ones
you hear about in the news lately).  If you think about the impact that
httpd, Tomcat, Lucene and Hadoop have, you begin to see why.

The hope is that Storm will join that group of key projects.

Thus the need to switch mailing lists.

Sorry for the inconvenience.