Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Alex Van Boxel <al...@vanboxel.be> on 2020/01/05 10:48:25 UTC

Flaky Java warning/error inventory (cannot find symbol)

I've noticed a pattern of fatal warning/errors and they are always the
same. If you want to check for yourself, just use this link and go to a few
previous builds... it's always the same tests that are failing:

https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/1596/java/new/

This is an inventory of the failing tests with always the same
error: cannot find symbol

RowJson.java:81 org.apache.beam.sdk.util
BigQueryIO.java:700 org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.bigquery
SpannerIO.java:912 org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.spanner
BigQueryIO.java:700 org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.bigquery
SpannerIO.java:912 org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.spanner
Watch.java:170 org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms

For my latest PR, I first go the RowJson error, and after no code change
and doing "*Run Java PreCommit*" I got the BigQueryIO one.

Anyone know what the reason for this is?

This is very tiring, I want to get a green build to call out reviewers, but
it's hard with these random failures.

 _/
_/ Alex Van Boxel

Re: Flaky Java warning/error inventory (cannot find symbol)

Posted by Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com>.
Hi Alex,

(I also feel frustrated to see sometimes Java precommit checks fail
due to connection errors. I appreciate Beam project makes it easy to
run it via "Run Java Precommit")

I dug into the builds but no clear answer to your question. The
"cannot find symbol" error [1] comes from
:sdks:java:io:google-cloud-platform:javadoc. The excerpt from the
consoleFull [2]:

09:50:23 > Task :sdks:java:io:google-cloud-platform:javadoc
09:50:23 /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/src/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/gcp/bigquery/BigQueryIO.java:700:
error: cannot find symbol
09:50:23   public abstract static class TypedRead<T> extends
PTransform<PBegin, PCollection<T>> {
09:50:23                                                     ^
09:50:23   symbol:   class PTransform
09:50:23   location: class BigQueryIO
09:50:23 /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/src/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/gcp/bigquery/BigQueryIO.java:700:
error: cannot find symbol
09:50:23   public abstract static class TypedRead<T> extends
PTransform<PBegin, PCollection<T>> {
09:50:23                                                                ^
09:50:23   symbol:   class PBegin
09:50:23   location: class BigQueryIO
09:50:23 /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/src/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/gcp/bigquery/BigQueryIO.java:700:
error: cannot find symbol
09:50:23   public abstract static class TypedRead<T> extends
PTransform<PBegin, PCollection<T>> {
09:50:23
         ^
09:50:23   symbol:   class PCollection
09:50:23   location: class BigQueryIO
09:50:23 /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/src/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/gcp/spanner/SpannerIO.java:912:
error: cannot find symbol
09:50:23       extends PTransform<PCollection<MutationGroup>,
SpannerWriteResult> {
09:50:23               ^
09:50:23   symbol:   class PTransform
09:50:23   location: class SpannerIO
09:50:23 /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/src/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/gcp/spanner/SpannerIO.java:912:
error: cannot find symbol
09:50:23       extends PTransform<PCollection<MutationGroup>,
SpannerWriteResult> {
09:50:23                          ^
09:50:23   symbol:   class PCollection
09:50:23   location: class SpannerIO
09:50:24 /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/workspace/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/src/sdks/java/io/google-cloud-platform/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/sdk/io/gcp/bigquery/BigQueryIO.java:452:
warning - Tag @link: can't find withQueryPriority(
09:50:24  TypedRead.QueryPriority) in
org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.bigquery.BigQueryIO.TypedRead
09:50:25

I don't have any explanation why the javadoc task could not find the
classes at that time. As this is javadoc, I stopped digging further.
Does anybody think of the cause of "cannot find symbol" for the
javadoc task?

[1]: https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/1598/java/packageName.-780910515/
[2]: https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/1598/consoleFull

Regards,
Tomo

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 7:41 PM Alex Van Boxel <al...@vanboxel.be> wrote:

> Hey Tomo,
>
> so this is one of mine (no change, just retrrigger):
> https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/1599/
> https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/1598/
>
> but here is a list of other PR's with the same issue:
> https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/1595/
> https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/1594/
> https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/1588/
>

>  _/
> _/ Alex Van Boxel
>

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 12:56 AM Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> I’m interested in that problem. “Cannot find symbol” problem is usually caused by incompatible dependencies. No randomness.
>>
>> Would you share the 2 URLs for the Java Precommit Jenkins jobs which you think should fail with the same cause?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tomo
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 05:48 Alex Van Boxel <al...@vanboxel.be> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've noticed a pattern of fatal warning/errors and they are always the same. If you want to check for yourself, just use this link and go to a few previous builds... it's always the same tests that are failing:
>>>
>>> https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/1596/java/new/
>>>
>>> This is an inventory of the failing tests with always the same error: cannot find symbol
>>>
>>> RowJson.java:81 org.apache.beam.sdk.util
>>> BigQueryIO.java:700 org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.bigquery
>>> SpannerIO.java:912 org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.spanner
>>> BigQueryIO.java:700 org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.bigquery
>>> SpannerIO.java:912 org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.spanner
>>> Watch.java:170 org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms
>>>
>>> For my latest PR, I first go the RowJson error, and after no code change and doing "Run Java PreCommit" I got the BigQueryIO one.
>>>
>>> Anyone know what the reason for this is?
>>>
>>> This is very tiring, I want to get a green build to call out reviewers, but it's hard with these random failures.
>>>
>>>  _/
>>>
>>> _/ Alex Van Boxel
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Tomo

Tomo

Re: Flaky Java warning/error inventory (cannot find symbol)

Posted by Alex Van Boxel <al...@vanboxel.be>.
Hey Tomo,

Posted by Tomo Suzuki <su...@google.com>.
I’m interested in that problem. “Cannot find symbol” problem is usually
caused by incompatible dependencies. No randomness.

Would you share the 2 URLs for the Java Precommit Jenkins jobs which you
think should fail with the same cause?

Regards,
Tomo

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 05:48 Alex Van Boxel <al...@vanboxel.be> wrote:

> I've noticed a pattern of fatal warning/errors and they are always the
> same. If you want to check for yourself, just use this link and go to a few
> previous builds... it's always the same tests that are failing:
>
> https://builds.apache.org/job/beam_PreCommit_Java_Phrase/1596/java/new/
>
> This is an inventory of the failing tests with always the same
> error: cannot find symbol
>
> RowJson.java:81 org.apache.beam.sdk.util
> BigQueryIO.java:700 org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.bigquery
> SpannerIO.java:912 org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.spanner
> BigQueryIO.java:700 org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.bigquery
> SpannerIO.java:912 org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.spanner
> Watch.java:170 org.apache.beam.sdk.transforms
>
> For my latest PR, I first go the RowJson error, and after no code change
> and doing "*Run Java PreCommit*" I got the BigQueryIO one.
>
> Anyone know what the reason for this is?
>
> This is very tiring, I want to get a green build to call out reviewers,
> but it's hard with these random failures.
>
>  _/
>
> _/ Alex Van Boxel

Tomo