Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/03/09 22:25:28 UTC

MSIE and auth. realms

Someone in a post to a newsgroup said that MSIE would treat two servers on
different ports on the same host as being the same server, ie. cached auth
for a realm on a server on one port will be sent to a server on another
port requesting that auth.

Combine that with a public (eg. University) system and IE caching
passwords on disk, and you come up with auth being useless.

Is what they said true, or are they doing something wrong like having both
saved to disk but not realizing it?

Re: MSIE and auth. realms

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@jrc.it>.

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> And people have trouble understanding why I often think the weakest link
> in Internet commerce (aside from the user) is the user's software.  Sigh.

> That is very broken.  What it means is that any hostname that requires
> private auth can't allow any users on it to run anything, period.  Sheesh.
> Yea, you still have to get the clients to go to your page to steal it, but
> that can be easy.

Ah well, combined with a bit of samba code you can suck empty their
password caches anway. But no seriously; we found that explitly setting
different realms works fine. Make sure they are different in the first few
chars.  (But if you switch on printing of the user/pwd combo IE passes
voluntarily (i.e. not problemt by an AuthReq) then you might be surprized
sometimes. I found that usefull for tracking down the problems.)
Dw.

Re: MSIE and auth. realms

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.

Re: MSIE and auth. realms