Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by tictacs <he...@tactics.co.uk> on 2012/11/03 23:41:19 UTC

Solr - Disk writes and set up suggestions

Hi,

My site has 30,000 widgets and 500,000 widget users.

I have created two solr indexes, one for widgets and one for users.  The
widgets index is 324MB and the users index is 9.3GB.

We are opimizing the index every hour and during this time the server is
slowing to a crawl, looks like due to the amount of disk writes - atop is
showing:

PID  SYSCPU  USRCPU  VGROW  RGROW  RDDSK  WRDSK  ST EXC S  CPU CMD     1/2
15979 118m35s  17h28m   3.3G   1.2G 353.2G 1887.0G  N-   - S   0% java
 8674 441m37s 637m34s  15.9G   3.2G 122.6G 10805.6G  N-   - S   0% java
  484 189m50s   0.00s     0K     0K 94540K  91.3G  N-   - S   0% kjournald
  868 150m19s   0.00s     0K     0K     4K     4K  N-   - S   0% flush-104:0
  116 118m52s   0.00s     0K     0K     0K 383.9M  N-   - S   0% kswapd0
19079  21m38s  80m49s  33.5G   3.1G 113.2G 110.6G  N-   - S   0% mysqld
18955  33m22s  94.26s 77296K  9744K  66.7G  38.9G  N-   - S   0% perl

It is a good spec machine in terms of processor and memory - 24GB RAM and a
6 core Xeon proc but I am wondering if I have made a mistake with the disks,
it only has standard 7200 RPM SATA disks.

Would I be much better off with going for 15K RPM SAS drives?  If I could
get SSD disks would they be an improvement?  My current server hosts charges
for SSD drives are obscene though so that isn't likely to happen...

Currently the index that my application searches against sits on the server
where optimization takes place and search slows noticably.  I could easily
run a slave on another lower powered machine but my host only has a 100 Mbps
connection between servers and I am concerned that due to the size of the
index copying it between machines will still cause disk writes on the slave
machine and I will be no better off.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to server set up to make my search fast
constantly for end users?

Cheers,

Tictacs

Re: Solr - Disk writes and set up suggestions

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

This should become a FAQ. Short version: don't optimize. Check ML archives
for recent messages and explanations.

If you have a monitoring tool, look at disk io during and after
optimization, check solr cache hit rates, etc.

Otis
--
Performance Monitoring - http://sematext.com/spm

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Or, don't "optimize" (force merge) at all. Really. This is a manual override for an automatic process, merging.

I can only think of one case where a forced merge makes sense:

1. All documents are reindexed.
2. Traditional Solr replication is used (not SolrCloud).
3. Replication is manually timed to be after the forced merge.

For incremental indexing with replication, a forced merge will cause a huge amount of disk and network traffic.

wunder
Former search guy for Netflix
Current search guy for Chegg

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Yes. I can guarantee that a force merge will not "massively help". It might not even measurably help.

wunder

On Nov 4, 2012, at 1:05 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Measure / monitor first :)
> You may not need to optimize at all, especially if your index is always
> being modified.
>
> Otis
> --
> Performance Monitoring - http://sematext.com/spm
> On Nov 4, 2012 3:03 PM, "tictacs" <he...@tactics.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply both and apologies if this is a recurring question.
>> From the sounds of it I am sure an optimize overnight when app traffic is
>> low will suffice.  This will massively help with server perfomance I am
>> sure.
>>

>> --

Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

RE: Solr - Disk writes and set up suggestions

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Measure / monitor first :)

Posted by tictacs <he...@tactics.co.uk>.

Posted by Michael Ryan <mr...@moreover.com>.
I'd recommend not optimizing every hour. Are you seeing a significant performance increase from optimizing this frequently?

-Michael