Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stefan Müller <St...@cl.uni-bremen.de> on 2003/11/09 22:34:36 UTC

[users@httpd] Directory Index and HEADER.html displayed unformatted as ASCII

Hi,

I am using apache under Suse Linux 8.2. I configured the following in
suse_public_html.conf:

<Directory /home/*/public_html>
     AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
     Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch Includes ExecCGI
     IndexOptions FancyIndexing SuppressHTMLPreamble
     <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
         Order allow,deny
         Allow from all
     </Limit>
     <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
         Order deny,allow
         Deny from all
     </LimitExcept>
</Directory>

If I got everything right, apache should display a file called
HEADER.html inline as HTML. But it does not, it wraps a <pre> tag around
everything and displays the stuff as ascii.

As an example you may look at:

http://www.cl.uni-bremen.de/~student1/

Such header files used to work with earlier versions of apache, but some
time ago (a year or two) this stopped.

Any idea? Is this a bug?

Thanks and greetings

     Stefan

--
Stefan Müller

Universität Bremen/Fachbereich 10      Tel: (+49) (+421) 218-8601
Postfach 33 04 40
D-28334 Bremen

http://www.cl.uni-bremen.de/~stefan/

http://www.cl.uni-bremen.de/~stefan/Babel/Interaktiv/

Re: [users@httpd] Directory Index and HEADER.html displayed unformatted as ASCII

Posted by Leif W <wa...@usa.net>.

You don't mention your current Apache version, but I may have found out by
issuing a HEAD / HTTP/1.1: Apache/1.3.27 (Linux/SuSE) PHP/4.3.1.

> <Directory /home/*/public_html>
>      AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
>      Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch Includes ExecCGI
>      IndexOptions FancyIndexing SuppressHTMLPreamble
>      <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>          Order allow,deny
>          Allow from all
>      </Limit>
>      <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>          Order deny,allow
>          Deny from all
>      </LimitExcept>
> </Directory>
>
> If I got everything right, apache should display a file called
> HEADER.html inline as HTML.

I don't see a "HeaderName HEADER.html" directive.  Is it in the file but you
forgot to post it in the email?

> But it does not, it wraps a <pre> tag around
> everything and displays the stuff as ascii.

Almost, it is swapping the < and > with &lt; and &gt; .  It's also not
suppressing the HTML preamble.  This is the behaviour when a HeaderName file
is not specified or the file is not found.

> As an example you may look at:
>
> http://www.cl.uni-bremen.de/~student1/
>
> Such header files used to work with earlier versions of apache, but some
> time ago (a year or two) this stopped.

Remember approximately which version the behaviour changed?

> Any idea? Is this a bug?

Have you searched the bugzilla database?  http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/
Searching for SuppressHTMLPreamble shows nothing.  Searching for HeaderName
shows a bug in Apache 1.3.27 that reads as follows:

HeaderName and ReadmeName fail silently when set to file without proper MIME
type

This may or may not be related.  Is there a way you can check if the MIME
type is somehow failing?  Otherwise, I'm not sure what else to look for.

Leif