Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/16 22:24:01 UTC

Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Dear All,

I have made the first BETA of Airflow 1.8.0 available at: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/ <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/airflow/> , public keys are available at https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/airflow/ <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/airflow/> . It is tagged with a local version “apache.incubating” so it allows upgrading from earlier releases. This beta is available for testing in a more production like setting (acceptance environment?).

I would like to encourage everyone  to try it out, to report back any issues so we get to a rock solid release of 1.8.0. When reporting issues a test case or even a fix is highly appreciated.

By moving to beta, we are also in feature freeze mode. Meaning no major adjustments or additions can be made to the v1-8-test branch. There is one exception: the cgroups+impersonation patch. I was assured that before we merge that it will be thoroughly tested, so its can still enter 1.8 if within a reasonable time frame. A lot of work has gone into it and it would be a shame if we would lose momentum.

Finally, it would also be really nice of have some updates to the documentation. In order of importance:

* UPDATING.md What does a user need to think of when upgrading to 1.8? MySQL 5.6.4 is now minimally required, scheduler now has separate logs per file processor.
* docs/configuration.rst We have many new options, especially in the scheduler area
* docs/faq.rst
* CHANGELOG.txt (compiled from git log)
* swagger definitions for the API

HIGHLIGHTS of the beta:

* DAG catchup: If False the scheduler does not fill in the gaps between the start_date and the current_date. Can be specified per dag or globally
* Per DAG multi processing: More robust and faster DAG processing. A faulty DAG should not take down the scheduler any more
* Google Cloud Operators: Feature complete I have heard.
* Time units now dynamic UI
* Better SMTP handling and attachment support
* Operational metrics for the scheduler
* MSSQL Improvements
* Experimental Rest API with Kerberos support
* Auto alignment of start_date to interval
* Better support for sub second scheduling
* Rolling restart of web workers
* nvd3.js instead of highcharts
* New dependency engine making debugging why my task is running easier
* Many UI updates
* Many new operators
* Many, many, many bugfixes

RELEASE PLANNING

Beta 2: 20 Jan
Beta 3: 25 Jan
RC1:  2 Feb

Cheers
Bolke

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.
Just to let you know: we just switched to Airflow 1.8.0b1 in production. Fingers crossed :)

Bolke

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.
I completely understand what your trying to achieve, but I'm just not sure your get that result by using a 1.7 scheduler with a 1.8 worker, exactly because the contract is so simple and the worker itself doesn’t do too much (although the dependency engine has changed as well, so the “why isn’t my task running” might get more complex).

The regex thing might get your more, or a cold migration (separate 1.8 cluster, move DAGs one by one).

It might indeed something we could keep in mind in the future, although my experiences in this area (openstack) haven’t been very good.

Bolke

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Max,

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.
1. Always do backups

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Boris Tyukin <bo...@boristyukin.com>.

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Chris Riccomini <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Alex Van Boxel <al...@vanboxel.be>.
Hey Max,

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Dan Davydov <da...@airbnb.com.INVALID>.

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Bolke de Bruin <bd...@gmail.com>.

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Dan Davydov <da...@airbnb.com.INVALID>.

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Airflow 1.8.0 BETA 1

Posted by Alex Van Boxel <al...@vanboxel.be>.
> [...]

> * CHANGELOG.txt (compiled from git log)
> * swagger definitions for the API
>
> HIGHLIGHTS of the beta:
>
> * DAG catchup: If False the scheduler does not fill in the gaps between
> the start_date and the current_date. Can be specified per dag or globally
> * Per DAG multi processing: More robust and faster DAG processing. A
> faulty DAG should not take down the scheduler any more
> * Google Cloud Operators: Feature complete I have heard.
> * Time units now dynamic UI
> * Better SMTP handling and attachment support
> * Operational metrics for the scheduler
> * MSSQL Improvements
> * Experimental Rest API with Kerberos support
> * Auto alignment of start_date to interval
> * Better support for sub second scheduling
> * Rolling restart of web workers
> * nvd3.js instead of highcharts
> * New dependency engine making debugging why my task is running easier

  _/
_/ Alex Van Boxel