Posted to l10n@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/03 09:56:31 UTC

[VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Hi all,

this is a call for vote on releasing the available release candidate
(RC) as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1 is a minor update with many bugfixes and at least
2 major improvements. It's the first version where we have the
iAccessibility2 support integrated and available. A very huge step
forward to reach and better support disabled users especially on
Windows. The second improvement is the switch to 64 bit on MacOS. A long
and overdue "must do" shift forward to support newer APIs (replace
deprecated APIs)  and platforms on MacOS.
And we can provide again more complete UI translations and have now
support for 38 languages. New languages for this release compared to
4.0.1 are Bulgarian, Danish, Hebrew, Hindi, Norwegian Bokmal and Thai.

Apache OpenOffice 4.1 will be a further key milestone to continue the
success of OpenOffice.

An overview of the integrated release issues can be found under:

http://people.apache.org/~jsc/milestones/4.1.0-rc/AOO4.1.0_RC_fixes.html

The release candidate artifacts (1) (source release, as well as binary
releases for 38 languages) and further information how to verify and
review Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 can be found on the following wiki page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds

The RC is based on the release branch AOO410, revision 1583666! And a
fresh and clean RAT scan output of this revision can be found under

http://people.apache.org/~jsc/milestones/4.1.0-rc/AOO4.1.0_RAT_Scan.html

Please vote on releasing this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0

The vote starts now and will be open until:

   Sunday evening, 6 April: 2014-04-06 11:00pm UTC.

But we invite all people to vote (non binding) on this RC. We would like
to provide a release that is supported by the majority of our project
members.

   [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0
   [ ]  0 Don't care

(1) the upload for the Linux 32 bit artifacts is still ongoing, but 64
bit is already available.

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Shari Lynn Smith <we...@gmail.com>.
+1

powered by android

Posted by Josef Latt <Jo...@gmx.net>.

Am 03.04.2014 09:56, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:

[x] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0

Regards

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Sylvain DENIS <sy...@pedago-tic.be>.
+1

      Sylvain DENIS

Conseiller Pédagogique TICE
/Responsable de projets TICE dans le cadre d'École Numérique/
0499 219 802 - sylvain@pedago-tic.be <ma...@pedago-tic.be> |
contact@denis-sylvain.be <ma...@denis-sylvain.be>
École numérique : http://www.ecolenumerique.be | Pedago-TIC :
http://www.pedago-tic.be | mENTeOS : http://www.menteos.be

Posted by Liu Ping <do...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "tx99h4@hotmail.com" <tx...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Liu Ping <do...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Liu Ping <do...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Yuzhen Fan <fa...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014, at 10:56, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > this is a call for vote on releasing the available release candidate
> > (RC) as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0.
> >
> > Apache OpenOffice 4.1 is a minor update with many bugfixes and at least
> > 2 major improvements. It's the first version where we have the
> > iAccessibility2 support integrated and available. A very huge step
> > forward to reach and better support disabled users especially on
> > Windows. The second improvement is the switch to 64 bit on MacOS. A long
> > and overdue "must do" shift forward to support newer APIs (replace
> > deprecated APIs)  and platforms on MacOS.
> > And we can provide again more complete UI translations and have now
> > support for 38 languages. New languages for this release compared to
> > 4.0.1 are Bulgarian, Danish, Hebrew, Hindi, Norwegian Bokmal and Thai.
> >
> > Apache OpenOffice 4.1 will be a further key milestone to continue the
> > success of OpenOffice.
> >
> > An overview of the integrated release issues can be found under:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~jsc/milestones/4.1.0-rc/AOO4.1.0_RC_fixes.html
> >
> > The release candidate artifacts (1) (source release, as well as binary
> > releases for 38 languages) and further information how to verify and
> > review Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 can be found on the following wiki page:
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds
> >
> > The RC is based on the release branch AOO410, revision 1583666! And a
> > fresh and clean RAT scan output of this revision can be found under
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~jsc/milestones/4.1.0-rc/AOO4.1.0_RAT_Scan.html
> >
> > Please vote on releasing this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0
> >
> > The vote starts now and will be open until:
> >
> >    Sunday evening, 6 April: 2014-04-06 11:00pm UTC.
> >
> > But we invite all people to vote (non binding) on this RC. We would like
> > to provide a release that is supported by the majority of our project
> > members.
> >
> >    [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0
> >    [ ]  0 Don't care
> >    [ ] -1 Do not release this package because...
> >

> > (1) the upload for the Linux 32 bit artifacts is still ongoing, but 64
> > bit is already available.

Yu Zhen

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Yuzhen Fan <fa...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014, at 10:56, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > this is a call for vote on releasing the available release candidate
> > (RC) as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0.
> >
> > Apache OpenOffice 4.1 is a minor update with many bugfixes and at least
> > 2 major improvements. It's the first version where we have the
> > iAccessibility2 support integrated and available. A very huge step
> > forward to reach and better support disabled users especially on
> > Windows. The second improvement is the switch to 64 bit on MacOS. A long
> > and overdue "must do" shift forward to support newer APIs (replace
> > deprecated APIs)  and platforms on MacOS.
> > And we can provide again more complete UI translations and have now
> > support for 38 languages. New languages for this release compared to
> > 4.0.1 are Bulgarian, Danish, Hebrew, Hindi, Norwegian Bokmal and Thai.
> >
> > Apache OpenOffice 4.1 will be a further key milestone to continue the
> > success of OpenOffice.
> >
> > An overview of the integrated release issues can be found under:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~jsc/milestones/4.1.0-rc/AOO4.1.0_RC_fixes.html
> >
> > The release candidate artifacts (1) (source release, as well as binary
> > releases for 38 languages) and further information how to verify and
> > review Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 can be found on the following wiki page:
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds
> >
> > The RC is based on the release branch AOO410, revision 1583666! And a
> > fresh and clean RAT scan output of this revision can be found under
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~jsc/milestones/4.1.0-rc/AOO4.1.0_RAT_Scan.html
> >
> > Please vote on releasing this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0
> >
> > The vote starts now and will be open until:
> >
> >    Sunday evening, 6 April: 2014-04-06 11:00pm UTC.
> >
> > But we invite all people to vote (non binding) on this RC. We would like
> > to provide a release that is supported by the majority of our project
> > members.
> >
> >    [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0
> >    [ ]  0 Don't care
> >    [ ] -1 Do not release this package because...
> >

> > (1) the upload for the Linux 32 bit artifacts is still ongoing, but 64
> > bit is already available.

Yu Zhen

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Yuzhen Fan <fa...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2014, at 10:56, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > this is a call for vote on releasing the available release candidate
> > (RC) as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0.
> >
> > Apache OpenOffice 4.1 is a minor update with many bugfixes and at least
> > 2 major improvements. It's the first version where we have the
> > iAccessibility2 support integrated and available. A very huge step
> > forward to reach and better support disabled users especially on
> > Windows. The second improvement is the switch to 64 bit on MacOS. A long
> > and overdue "must do" shift forward to support newer APIs (replace
> > deprecated APIs)  and platforms on MacOS.
> > And we can provide again more complete UI translations and have now
> > support for 38 languages. New languages for this release compared to
> > 4.0.1 are Bulgarian, Danish, Hebrew, Hindi, Norwegian Bokmal and Thai.
> >
> > Apache OpenOffice 4.1 will be a further key milestone to continue the
> > success of OpenOffice.
> >
> > An overview of the integrated release issues can be found under:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~jsc/milestones/4.1.0-rc/AOO4.1.0_RC_fixes.html
> >
> > The release candidate artifacts (1) (source release, as well as binary
> > releases for 38 languages) and further information how to verify and
> > review Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 can be found on the following wiki page:
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds
> >
> > The RC is based on the release branch AOO410, revision 1583666! And a
> > fresh and clean RAT scan output of this revision can be found under
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~jsc/milestones/4.1.0-rc/AOO4.1.0_RAT_Scan.html
> >
> > Please vote on releasing this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0
> >
> > The vote starts now and will be open until:
> >
> >    Sunday evening, 6 April: 2014-04-06 11:00pm UTC.
> >
> > But we invite all people to vote (non binding) on this RC. We would like
> > to provide a release that is supported by the majority of our project
> > members.
> >
> >    [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0
> >    [ ]  0 Don't care
> >    [ ] -1 Do not release this package because...
> >

> > (1) the upload for the Linux 32 bit artifacts is still ongoing, but 64
> > bit is already available.

Yu Zhen

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Edwin Sharp <el...@mail-page.com>.
+1

Posted by Steve Yin <st...@gmail.com>.
+1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0

--
Best Regards,

Steve Yin

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Khoem Sokhem <so...@open.org.kh>.
Hi,

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0

Thanks,
Sokhem

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Stuart Swales <st...@croftnuisk.co.uk>.
   [x] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0

en_GB

Regards,

Stuart
--
Stuart Swales

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>.

Jürgen Schmidt schreef op 3-4-2014 9:56:
> Hi all,
>
> this is a call for vote on releasing the available release candidate
> (RC) as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0.
>
> Apache OpenOffice 4.1 is a minor update with many bugfixes and at least
> 2 major improvements. It's the first version where we have the
> iAccessibility2 support integrated and available. A very huge step
> forward to reach and better support disabled users especially on
> Windows. The second improvement is the switch to 64 bit on MacOS. A long
> and overdue "must do" shift forward to support newer APIs (replace
> deprecated APIs)  and platforms on MacOS.
> And we can provide again more complete UI translations and have now
> support for 38 languages. New languages for this release compared to
> 4.0.1 are Bulgarian, Danish, Hebrew, Hindi, Norwegian Bokmal and Thai.
>
> Apache OpenOffice 4.1 will be a further key milestone to continue the
> success of OpenOffice.
>
> An overview of the integrated release issues can be found under:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jsc/milestones/4.1.0-rc/AOO4.1.0_RC_fixes.html
>
> The release candidate artifacts (1) (source release, as well as binary
> releases for 38 languages) and further information how to verify and
> review Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 can be found on the following wiki page:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds
>
> The RC is based on the release branch AOO410, revision 1583666! And a
> fresh and clean RAT scan output of this revision can be found under
>
> http://people.apache.org/~jsc/milestones/4.1.0-rc/AOO4.1.0_RAT_Scan.html
>
> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0
>
> The vote starts now and will be open until:
>
>     Sunday evening, 6 April: 2014-04-06 11:00pm UTC.
>
> But we invite all people to vote (non binding) on this RC. We would like
> to provide a release that is supported by the majority of our project
> members.
>
>     [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0
>     [ ]  0 Don't care
>     [ ] -1 Do not release this package because...
>

> (1) the upload for the Linux 32 bit artifacts is still ongoing, but 64
> bit is already available.

DiGro

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
[X] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0

I have tested the office now for 2 days, verified some issues, build it
from scratch based on the src release. It looks good to me and I give my
+1 for the final go ;-)

I will be offline for the next 3 days but will count the votes in time.

Juergen

[RESULT][VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Andre had reported on Friday a further serious problem [1] that makes a
release with this issue impossible or better not really useful. Over the
weekend a further issue [2] came up that is also serious enough that we
will fix it first.

This makes the VOTE obsolete and we will prepare a further RC.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=124599
[2] https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=124607

Posted by Clarence GUO <cl...@gmail.com>.
[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0

Thanks for hard working from all of you

Clarence

Posted by Pedro Albuquerque <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0

Thank you.
Regards,
Pedro.

Posted by Aivaras Stepukonis | Apache OpenOffice <as...@apache.org>.
+1

Pagarbiai,

Aivaras Stepukonis | „Apache OpenOffice“ lietuvinimas

Sincerely,

Aivaras Stepukonis | LT localization for Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
On 2014-04-03, at 03:56, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0

+1

-louis

RE: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by V Stuart Foote <VS...@utsa.edu>.

Reasonable and prudent,  +1 to stop the vote and respin.

Stuart

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by "O.Felka" <ol...@gmx.de>.
Am 04.04.2014 15:57, schrieb Andre Fischer:

> Another problem came up that looks serious enough so that I would like
> to cancel this vote, if nobody objects. Juergen, who started the vote,
> is on vacation today, so I need your help to do that.
>
> The problem is described by issue 124599 [1].  Here is a summary:
>

> If you don't object to a cancellation of the vote then the current plan
> is to provide a fix today, rebuild and upload tomorrow and re-start the
> vote on the second RC on sunday or monday depending on how smooth this
> process works.

*1 for the cancellation: AOO should have a working update for older
versions.

Groetjes,
Olaf

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03.04.2014 09:56, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> this is a call for vote on releasing the available release candidate
>> (RC) as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0.
>>
> Another problem came up that looks serious enough so that I would like to
> cancel this vote, if nobody objects. Juergen, who started the vote, is on
> vacation today, so I need your help to do that.
>
> The problem is described by issue 124599 [1].  Here is a summary:
>
> When you install the RC on Windows then a previously installed version (3.*
> and 4.*) is not removed.  For versions 3.* this leads to a parallel
> installation (because there are different installation paths).  For versions
> 4.* the files of the older version are overwritten but registry entries and
> links on the desktop remain. If you install the RC on a system with no prior
> installation of AOO then there are no problems.
>
> This problem is caused by my patch related changes and is therefore
> restricted to Windows.  Linux and Mac are not affected.
>
> I am currently working on a fix which will probably consist of a small
> change in our Perl program for creating the downloadable installer.  That
> means that it requires an SVN commit and therefore a rebuild on all
> platforms.  So,  even if Mac and Linux are not directly affected, they still
> have to be rebuilt so that they report the correct SVN revision.
>
> If you don't object to a cancellation of the vote then the current plan is
> to provide a fix today, rebuild and upload tomorrow and re-start the vote on
> the second RC on sunday or monday depending on how smooth this process
> works.

That makes sense.  A temporary inconvenience for us now will make
things cleaner for the users.  It may also help us later when trying
to figure out the update logic for AOO 4.1 to 4.2.

-Rob

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 04.04.2014 15:57, Andre Fischer wrote:
> On 03.04.2014 09:56, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> this is a call for vote on releasing the available release candidate
>> (RC) as Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0.
>>
> Another problem came up that looks serious enough so that I would like
> to cancel this vote, if nobody objects. Juergen, who started the vote,
> is on vacation today, so I need your help to do that.
>
> The problem is described by issue 124599 [1].  Here is a summary:
>
> When you install the RC on Windows then a previously installed version
> (3.* and 4.*) is not removed.  For versions 3.* this leads to a parallel
> installation (because there are different installation paths).  For
> versions 4.* the files of the older version are overwritten but registry
> entries and links on the desktop remain. If you install the RC on a
> system with no prior installation of AOO then there are no problems.

+1 for cancelling the vote due to the found issue.
The issue would cause confusion to the system and the user.

Best regards, Oliver.

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
On 2014/04/05 05:40, Kay Schenk said:

> On 04/04/2014 09:03 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Andre Fischer wrote:
>>> Another problem came up that looks serious enough so that I would like
>>> to cancel this vote, if nobody objects.
>>
>> It is a clear release blocker. I agree that a second Release Candidate
>> should be prepared. We can then do the right steps for fixing the
>> process, but the thing we are voting on is clearly not ready for release
>> based on what you write.

+1 for the cancellation.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org/
Greenfoot Taiwan http://greenfoot.westart.tw/

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 04/04/2014 06:03 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Andre Fischer wrote:
>> Another problem came up that looks serious enough so that I would like
>> to cancel this vote, if nobody objects.
>
> It is a clear release blocker. I agree that a second Release Candidate
> should be prepared. We can then do the right steps for fixing the
> process, but the thing we are voting on is clearly not ready for release
> based on what you write.

+1 for doing a second round and a RC2.

Marcus

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 06.04.2014 17:44, V Stuart Foote wrote:
> This is my official (non-binding)  -1 vote for a release build based on
> r1583666
>
> --Justification--
> Since the r1583666 based spin, several substantial issues have been
> corrected on trunk only
>
> r1583671 -- affects apparent quality of the IAccessible2 based AT tools
> support (i125573)

This has been integrated into branch AOO410 and has been already
considered for 4.1.0

> r1583988/r1585171 -- affecting users on OS X (i124509)

May it makes sense to include the available fix.

> r1585173 -- i18 support for nds-DE local

I am not sure, if we should include this fix for 4.1.0.
It only affects a certain language which is spoken in a part of a country.

> r1585261 -- serious ODF formatting issues with annotations (i124607)

This one has already been requested as show-stopper.

Best regards, Oliver.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 04/04/2014 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> It is a clear release blocker. I agree that a second Release Candidate
> should be prepared. We can then do the right steps for fixing the
> process

So, here's the process as I see it. We had several +1s, then some more
or less explicit -1s once the problem was discovered, confirmed and fixed.

We simply keep this vote open until its natural expiration. Even if the
vote passes (i.e., +1s outnumber -1s) this does not mean that the
release must be published. Namely, the release manager must see if the
-1s are motivated enough to produce a new release candidate. I expect
that this is what will happen. So no need for people to change their
vote, send more e-mails, or cancel the vote: if Juergen agrees this is a
release blocker we simply move on with a new RC.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (RC)

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andre Fischer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,