Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by bansalp <bp...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/08 15:18:37 UTC

What all jars are required to run ActiveMQ client and what all jars are included in ActiveMq-all jar

Hi,

ActiveMQ comes with lots of JAR. I want to know what all jars are included
in activemq-all-5.10.0.jar.

What all jars are required/necessary to run an activemq client
(producer/consumer)?

Thanks

Re: What all jars are required to run ActiveMQ client and what all jars are included in ActiveMq-all jar

Posted by artnaseef <ar...@artnaseef.com>.
Maven is really going to save you tons of headaches, especially keeping up
with jar files and versions... but, it's not absolutely necessary.

Without maven, I would probably consider seriously to use the activemq-all
jar, but that comes with caveats (such as possible conflicts in versions of
other jars you might also be using).

Once you have a basic maven project setup, use "mvn dependency:list" or "mvn
dependency:tree" to see all of the jar files used.  Even better, use "mvn
dependency:copy-dependencies" to get all of them copied into the directory,
target/dependency.

Re: What all jars are required to run ActiveMQ client and what all jars are included in ActiveMq-all jar

Posted by bansalp <bp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks this solved my problem.

Re: What all jars are required to run ActiveMQ client and what all jars are included in ActiveMq-all jar

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 01/19/2015 03:29 AM, bansalp wrote:
> I am unable to figure out whether clients need activemq-openwire-legacy jar
> or not.
>
> Could you please help?

Only if you are using newer client's to talk to older versions of the
broker, within the same version range you would not need the legacy
openwire jar.

--
Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.

Re: What all jars are required to run ActiveMQ client and what all jars are included in ActiveMq-all jar

Posted by bansalp <bp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
I believe clients would only need that JAR if they are connecting to a
broker that is an earlier ActiveMQ version than the client, because then
the client will need to use a legacy version of the OpenWire protocol to
talk to that older broker.

Posted by bansalp <bp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Do your clients use temporary queues?  Scheduled message delivery?

If not, don't worry about them, but if they do then you probably want to
make sure they work.

Posted by artnaseef <ar...@artnaseef.com>.
Using ClassNotFoundException is one way to track them down, but be aware that
some such exceptions may not occur until runtime after running successfully
for a long time.  So, it's a risky approach.

Personally, I can't imagine trying to maintain dependencies without Maven,
or an equivalent.  I've worked on projects in which jar files were manually
saved and moved around - not fun.  Not to mention the high overhead on the
SCM tool storing all those jar files, and the slowness it creates whenever
checking out the repo.  And, trying to update versions was a nightmare.

With all of that said, the dependency information is in maven and can be
extracted from there.

Here's another way to get that info -- using the maven central repo web
site:
http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.activemq/activemq-client/5.10.0

Just google "maven repository activemq-client" and that comes right up.

Re: What all jars are required to run ActiveMQ client and what all jars are included in ActiveMq-all jar

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
Sorry, I misread what Art recommended to you.  Yes, setting up a Maven
project and declaring a dependency on activemq-client.jar should give you
its transitive dependencies.  They'll all be sitting in your output lib
directory.  But once you include them in your project, you'll want to do
what I said and see if anything was missed.  And there might be transitive
dependencies that you aren't actually using (if they support code paths you
don't use) so if you really want only the minimum set, then skip Maven and
use the process I described.

But I still question why you're doing this and whether it's worth your time.

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.

Posted by bansalp <bp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by artnaseef <ar...@artnaseef.com>.
The first jar to start with for clients is activemq-client.  That may be all
you need to directly include when using a maven build as the transient
dependencies will automatically be resolved.  With that said, there may be
cases in which others are needed.

The list of jars in activemq-all.jar is long; see the pom.xml file for that
project for the list:
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=activemq.git;a=blob_plain;f=activemq-all/pom.xml;hb=HEAD.