Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Taewoo Kim <wa...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/15 20:57:04 UTC

Re: Function name change: contains() -> string-contains()

Reminder:

Related to the full-text search, a string function named *contains*() will
be renamed to *string-contains*() soon. Also, "*text*" will become a
reserved word just like "for" or "where".  It will happen soon as the first
step to the full-text search merge. Here are more details about this change:

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 6:25 PM, Taewoo Kim <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I would like to suggest a current function name change. I am currently
> working on Full Text Search features. XQuery Full-text search spec [1]
> states that for a full-text search, the syntax is *RangeExpr ( "contains"
> "text" FTSelection FTIgnoreOption? )?*. As you see, we are going to use
> "contains text something". And we already have contains() function [2] that
> does a substring match.  So, in order to remove possible ambiguities
> between two features, *contains()* will be renamed to *string-contains()*
> when I merge my index-only branch to the master if there is no strong
> opinion on this. Thank you. I will send another note as my merge
> progresses. Thank you.
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/TR/xpath-full-text-10/#doc-xquery10-FTContainsExpr
>
> [2] https://asterix-jenkins.ics.uci.edu/job/asterix-test-full/
> site/asterix-doc/aql/functions.html#StringFunctions
>
> Best,
> Taewoo

Thank you.

Best,
Taewoo

Re: Function name change: contains() -> string-contains()

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.
If we "wanted" a keyword approach like XQuery, I'd vote for matches (to
replace text).

Posted by Yingyi Bu <bu...@gmail.com>.
All right, thanks!

Best,