Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by Abdullah Kauchali <ab...@isanusi.com> on 2007/02/06 11:28:33 UTC

Difference between DBCP and SIMPLE connection pools

Hi folks,

What's the difference between configuring connections as DBCP vs SIMPLE?
When to use which?

TIA,

RE: Difference between DBCP and SIMPLE connection pools

Posted by Abdullah Kauchali <ab...@isanusi.com>.
Hi Clinton - thanks for responding.

> SimpleDataSource has served us very well over the years, with very few
> changes.  I'd like to redo the interface at some point (currently
> yucky property based config), but the implementation seems to work
> well. It's a synchronous pool that doesn't spawn any threads for
> reaping connections or anything like that.

Does DBCP do that?

Also, I wanted to know, is the life time of the connection pool (not
connection object) for SIMPLE/DBCP connected to SQLMapClientImpl or
SQLMapDelegator?  IOW:  is the pool destroyed every time a new
SQLMapDelegator or SQLMapClient is instantiated?

What is the impact of this when connections from the pool are actually
participating in a transaction and connectivity details are changed at the
same time?

How does this compare to an AppServer-based JNDI datasource configured for
iBatis?  Is the life time of the pool managed independently of the life time
of SQLMapClient/ExectorDelegate?

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
DBCP is a connection pool made by Apache.  You need to download an
additional JAR to use it.  SIMPLE is built into iBATIS.

SimpleDataSource has served us very well over the years, with very few
changes.  I'd like to redo the interface at some point (currently
yucky property based config), but the implementation seems to work
well. It's a synchronous pool that doesn't spawn any threads for
reaping connections or anything like that.

Cheers,
Clinton