Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Spadez <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2012/02/21 13:45:03 UTC

SOLR - Just for search or whole site DB?

I am new to this but I wanted to pitch a setup to you. I have a website
being coded at the moment, in the very early stages, but is effectively a
full text scrapper and search engine. We have decided on SOLR for the search
system.

We basically have two sets of data:

One is the content for the search engine, which is around 100K records at
any one time. The entire system is built on PHP and currently put into a
MSQL database. We want very quick relevant searches, this is critical. Our
plan is to import our records into SOLR each night from the MYSQL database.

The second set of data is other parts of the site, such as our ticket
system, stats about the number of clicks etc. The performance on this is not
performance critical at all.

So, I have two questions:

Firstly, should everything be run through the SOLR search system, including
tickets and site stats? Alterntively, is it better to keep only the main
full text searches on SOLR and do the ticketing etc through normal MYSQL
queries?

Secondly, which is probably dependant on the first question. If everything
should go through SOLR, should we even use a MYSQL database at all? If not,
what is the alternative? We use an XML file as a .SQL replacement for
content including tickets, stats, users, passwords etc.

Sorry if these questions are basic, but I’m out of my depth here (but
learning!)

James

Re: SOLR - Just for search or whole site DB?

Posted by Em <ma...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Spadez,

MySQL, as well as any other SQL-database, needs the same amount of work
to integrate its data into Solr.
Choose your favorite database and get started!

Best,
Em

Posted by Demian Katz <de...@villanova.edu>.
I would strongly recommend using Solr just for search.  Solr is designed for doing fast search lookups.  It is really not designed for performing all the functions of a relational database system.  You certainly COULD use Solr for everything, and the software is constantly being enhanced to make it more flexible, but you'll still probably find it awkward and inconvenient for certain tasks that are simple with MySQL.  It's also useful to be able to throw away and rebuild your Solr index at will, so you can upgrade to a new version or tweak your indexing rules.  If you store mission-critical data in Solr itself, this becomes more difficult.  The way I like to look at it is, as the name says, as an index.  You use one system for actually managing your data, and then you use Solr to create an index of that data for fast look-up.

- Demian