Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Geoff Hendrey <gh...@decarta.com> on 2011/07/19 18:12:53 UTC

hbase + lucene?

Hi -

At hadoop summit it was mentioned that there was a planning meeting for
a project regarding hbase and lucene. I believe the meeting was
scheduled for the day after the summit. I wasn't able to attend, but I
would like to keep abreast of what's going on in this regard. Anyone
know anything about this?

-geoff

Re: hbase + lucene?

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.
> How are index updates handled, since they lead to performance degradation?

Document updates or complete re-indexing?  Lucene is very fast to
index, and soon will be just as fast in realtime - LUCENE-2312.

Lucene segments merges, like HBase compactions will carry the most overhead.

Re: hbase + lucene?

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: hbase + lucene?

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Geoff,

> then every region would receive the query, and execute the search
> and the results of this "query fanout" would then be merged together. Is
> that roughly the idea?

This is one possibility, and/or querying only specific region ranges.

> Individual lucene indexes would remain reasonably
> sized because each index indexes only the data of a single region

Yes, this is the design of HBase Search.

Jason

RE: hbase + lucene?

Re: hbase + lucene?

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.