Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com> on 2003/11/14 16:27:32 UTC

Avalon brand hijackers

Hi folks,

unfotunately MS claims with their new .NET version the brand "Avalon" for their new GUI toolkit.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/default.aspx?pull=/msdnmag/issues/04/01/Avalon/default.aspx

As soon as the first betas will arrive the MSDN developers, I can imagine that the confusion about "What is Avalon?" increases a lot and in a short term most people will correlate the brand with MS :(

Somewhat helpless,
Jörg

Re: Avalon brand hijackers

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 14 November 2003 23:27, Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> unfotunately MS claims with their new .NET version the brand "Avalon" for
> their new GUI toolkit.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/longhorn/default.aspx?pull=/msdnmag/issues/04/01/
>Avalon/default.aspx
>
> As soon as the first betas will arrive the MSDN developers, I can imagine
> that the confusion about "What is Avalon?" increases a lot and in a short
> term most people will correlate the brand with MS :(

That's one of the differences with $250mil development budget and ~zero
budget. They will, as usual, push it as Microsoft Avalon (otherwise they
can't trade mark it), so we need to be more explicit Apache Avalon.

But also some hope, half of M$ announced products never reach the awareness of
developers, either because of rebranding or inclusion in something bigger,
where the announced name just drowns and disappears.

Niclas